Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2 Evolutions vs. 2 F-bodys.. hey, they asked for it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 Evolutions vs. 2 F-bodys.. hey, they asked for it!

Many, many moons ago, I remembered what it was like to be cocky when I first wraped my hands around the wheel of my civic post-turbation surgery circa 2001. Granted, it was still awfully slow, 4psi on a D16, can't you just imagine? None the less, time went on and slowly but surley the car got a little faster, and a little faster. Races were won, people took note..... then I faced an LS1 on the way back from Moroso. "Can't be that fast" I remember telling myself as I tauned the F-body for a moment on the turnpike. Didn't take long for the other guy to realize what was going on, and commence the eventual asskicking courtesy LS1. My little D16 didn't stand a chance, and sure enough after about 6-8 car legnths, I slipped into reality. The lesson learned?

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Fast forward to this past wednesday evening, it's roughly 11:30pm at Moroso and the last passes have been made in the sweltering heat. 104 heat index? Riiiight, felt more like 144, but regardles, it was a tad hot. I was fairly happy none the less, I finally broke into the 12's. Here were are, me, my buddy Trent and his F-body pals infront of the bathroom area waiting on another friend to finish his slick-to-stock swap and going over the nights events when the darkness unfolded. A black Evolution slowly rolls by us, waiting till just the right moment where his nose is centered in the group to commence reving and blowing off a number of times in succession at us. Me and Trent immediatley look at each other and laugh, "yea nice stock turbo" Trent calls out as the Evo trails along. I guess this caught someones attention however, as with my back turned to the Evo I hear the passenger say "wait wait, go back", followed by a "Hey! How much!?", obviously suggestion he's down to run for money regardless of the competition.. *tsk* *tsk*, it's like watching myself in that little red single cammer all over again.

I call out "five hundred, the SS right there, rolling, out the hole.. whatever you want however you want it". I'm guessing the immediate response throws the passenger for a loop as he hesitates and asks what the SS has.

**INFO BREAK- Cast of Characters**

'01 Camaro SS M6
Built 408 stoker
Cammed
Bolt-ons
Semi-tuned
Ridiculously oversized meats out back
low 12's @ near 120 all day without traction

'05 SRT-4
SC61 @ ~20psi
3" DP + 3" exahust
AGP FMIC
upper 12's @ ~113 with boost control issues

'00 Trans Am WS6 M6 (my car)
Lid w/ K&N + FRA
Pacesetter LTs
Pacesetter ORY
Magnaflow catback
Tunercat OBD-II tuned by yours truly
12.98 @ 110.01mph w/ 2.175 60'

'Black Evolution'
Appeared to have the MR Edition verticies above rear window
DP + 3" exahust
'cams'
BOV

'Silver Evolution'
3" exahust

(Evolution mods are based on what was told or observed)

**CONTINUED**
Now I couldn't help but find it funny, a moment ago Mr. confidence called us out for money without regard to what who was driving, now it became a concern when "Camaro" was mentioned.. I love driving a domestic

About this time, an older gentleman apprears and centers himself in the conversation. I was a little curious as to just who he was, and how he snuck up out of nowhere at first thinking perhaps he was a local cop overlistening a potential race setup, turns out after a few mintues of discussion however that he was also there in a silver Evo, whether or not he was 'with' Batman and Robin in the black one I don't know for sure, but his discussion with them leads me to belive he is. Regardless, he evidently had his eyes on out friends' SS during the night as he tried to dissuade the other Evo from running the SS, and with that the SRT is now on the spot. "I want the SRT" was the call from Camp Mitsu. Is he down? "Let's go".. and with that the stage is set. The supremley confident Evo wants a peice of Yaniel's orange sherbert Neon.

Another 5 mins of our buddy trying to figure out how to fit his slicks in the trunk and we're finally road about, 2 Evo's, 3 F-bodys and a couple stragglers who came in with us. We get to B-line, send a pair of cars ahead of us to scope out the roadway and leave one trailing behind us incase of any unwanted participants trying to sneak up from behind. Now despite the earlier agreement between the SRT and the Evo for a 3rd gear roll for the sake of traction, the Evo slows to a 30mph roll and refuses to move. Now personally I'd say forget it and just go along my merry way, but the SRT is game regardless, so he slows for the Evo and meets his roll, the 3 honk is given while me and Trent tail the SRT and there off.. and something is oh so wrong! I notice right off the bat, aside from the Evo pulling the SRT, I'm pulling the SRT as well?! I end up switching lanes as I creep up on the Neons tail in 3rd, but just as quickly as he fell apart for him, it all came back togehter quickly and suddlenly the SRT is now both screaming away from me and reeling in the Evo and his 3 car lead in a hurry. We toss 4th in an effort to keep up, by this point Yaniel has closed the gap to the Evo's bumper, but no dice, the Evo lets off around 120 and calls it a race. Not the best way to break the RASR code of ethics, but we would later find out the SRT downfall, faulty boost controller spring

Now even more inspired, the Evo now beckons another race while blowing off over and over at my door. We remind him about the SS who was waiting in the wings, and he agrees to run him from a low roll. So without delay, the SS rolls along side the Evo and we all slow to a good 30mph roll in anticipation of what should be a relativley short race. And oh how it was.. the 3-honk is given, the SS comes alive by ripping into the DR's sending the tail in a momentary slide before finally finding grip enough to propell it car.. after car.. after car ahead of both me and the Evo. The race was won quick enough for the SS to shut down at the begining of 4th on his end, but this wasn't satisfactory for the Evo and so he called for one more run with him, only this time forcing the F-bod into a low 2nd gear start. So there they are lined up, me tucked behind the SS with the intent of trying my luck to see if I can keep pace with this 'cammed' Evo myself. 1 -- 2 --3! And we're all off, the SS momentarily hesitating as the revs built, but soon thereafter rocketing away every bit as hard from us as he had the previous race. Meanwhile, to my own supprise I'm keeping pace with the Evolution, hitting the gears stride for stride and ending up at about the same distance I had started with.

The race was over, the ownage was apparent, and the Evo was left with a bad taste in it's mouth or so one would imagine. At this point, me and Trent notice the other Evo, the silver one, now pacing me at my door as we slowed from the previous race. It was apparent he wanted to play, and all indications were he wasn't packing quite the punch the black one was. I go ahead and slow to a crawl which the silver Evo matches before we finally come to a stop. "Honk it off" Trent tells him as I nervously await the launch, mind you I'm on less than sticky OEM rubber and I've never had an 'out-the-hole' duel with an AWDer before. Revs are up, the count is given and here I come stepping off the clutch at around 1500rpm and getting a decent shot hole-shot to my amazement as I fully expected the Evo to be worlds ahead of me for at least the first gear or two.. never happened. Before you know it, I glance over and it's car after car I'm putting on the Evo, honestly I'm not even 100% sure he was on it for the entire race.

By the time I let off, I'd managed to blow right past our turnoff from B-line to PGA, so we hook the next U and wait for the Evo, you know, just in case. Alas he pulls along side, and with what Trent tells me was a rather unhappy face tells us "alright, let's go". Hrmm.. was he taking it easy on me? Was that low boost? Maybe he was just toying around with me and he's packing a shot or more? After the previous performance I couldn't figure out why he was so eager to run again, but reluctantly I line back up with him, and this time Trent calls it out. "One.. two.. three!" and we're off. My uneasiness gets the better of me and I feel the tail feathers of the Firechicken step aside momentarily, I bring her back inine and ring out first with the Evo still glued to my side, he's not going anywhere! Slam second and rip into 3rd, I'm moving up on the Evo but not nearly as much as before. We finish it off maybe 3-4 cars up this time before we cut off to make the turn.. whew! Don't know what he did that time, but he made me sweat, kudos to him.

Well that about wraps up the evenings events. Yaniel found out his MBC is a peice of garbage while the black Evo found out a modded LS1 isn't to be taken lightly. And with that another chapter is written in the book of reality checks. You never can tell where they come from, be it a Camaro, a stock Z06, hell maybe even a Honda.. but beware, they're out there!

Cliffs: Modded Evo plays the role of little white boy while Mr. SS does the Michael Jackson, and le' Neon watched his payback

Last edited by VTC_WS6; 08-21-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that was a good read!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I enjoyed the story. As long as it was, it went by fast. You do some very good storytelling. Unfortunetly, out here on the west coast, it is a little hard to get away with all that street racing, the cops around my house will pull your car, quick. Hey, glad you had fun.

My boss has an Evo he is modding up. I am interested in how it would do against my '02- off the bottle.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

That was one of the best street race stories I've ever read. I feel an even more special regard being that this was near my hometown. It's nice to know there are a few, down LS1'ers around here. Top-notch entertainment. I'll be waiting for the next installment.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

i forgot you posted here dave i just posted the story up for you....time to edit my thread lol
Old 08-20-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SOMFormula
I enjoyed the story. As long as it was, it went by fast. You do some very good storytelling. Unfortunetly, out here on the west coast, it is a little hard to get away with all that street racing, the cops around my house will pull your car, quick. Hey, glad you had fun.

My boss has an Evo he is modding up. I am interested in how it would do against my '02- off the bottle.
Just like any other car... How fast and how much you spend are linked... Cams are far behind turbo, intercooler, fuel system and ECU upgrades... A AEM EMS will make more power than a cammed car on a OE ECU....

I cant even run out 1st gear around here w/o ppl complaining.... I found a big *** parking lot w.o light poles away form ppl or test and tunes...

I dont like street racing... Alot of times. egos get in the way of intelligence. Too fast into traffic etc..

On a track I'll line up with any car that is realistically comparable.. Like no full tube frame cars.....etc

I like domestic muscle and turbo AWD compacts... I have owned both... A nicely built car is nice in either camp..

The best compliment was from a 2005 EVO MR owner.... I just finished detailing after learning some new tips from one of my brothers employees and went for some fast food.. I parked front end out but drove by the MR in the drive thru..

He said it was the cleanest looking 2G DSM he has ever seen and judging by the way it sounded running he probably would never race me untill he spent some big money........

I said yours looks good too and mine was also stock once.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GREAT story love the character part
Old 08-21-2005, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

You should write a book about street racing... very nice story man!

Btw was it you who wrote 2fast2furious?
Old 08-21-2005, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
You should write a book about street racing... very nice story man!

Btw was it you who wrote 2fast2furious?

LOL.. no, it would've been ALOT more realistic with alot less rice
Old 08-21-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
LOL.. no, it would've been ALOT more realistic with alot less rice
WAIT you mean stock suspension FWD DSM's dont go 10's? I dont believe it. Lol

John
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
WAIT you mean stock suspension FWD DSM's dont go 10's? I dont believe it. Lol

John
All you really need in any car is a shitty sounding muffler, not even a full exhaust, to go tens.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EightBallTTA
All you really need in any car is a shitty sounding muffler, not even a full exhaust, to go tens.

But that was a damn good story though, nice kills.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EightBallTTA
You're forgetting a lap-top with real-time engine/turbo management software for the stock turbo and stock ECU so you can select the dreaded and feared stage four option if your opponents start getting close on the one-mile run. You don't want that to happen...

*warning beeps* "No! Shut up! " *slam the laptop cover closed*
Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
You're forgetting a lap-top with real-time engine/turbo management software for the stock turbo and stock ECU so you can select the dreaded and feared stage four option if your opponents start getting close on the one-mile run. You don't want that to happen...

*warning beeps* "No! Shut up! " *slam the laptop cover closed*
But if you do that, your intake manifold might melt and the bolts will come off some bottom panel
Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Just like any other car... How fast and how much you spend are linked... Cams are far behind turbo, intercooler, fuel system and ECU upgrades... A AEM EMS will make more power than a cammed car on a OE ECU....

I cant even run out 1st gear around here w/o ppl complaining.... I found a big *** parking lot w.o light poles away form ppl or test and tunes...

I dont like street racing... Alot of times. egos get in the way of intelligence. Too fast into traffic etc..

On a track I'll line up with any car that is realistically comparable.. Like no full tube frame cars.....etc

I like domestic muscle and turbo AWD compacts... I have owned both... A nicely built car is nice in either camp..

The best compliment was from a 2005 EVO MR owner.... I just finished detailing after learning some new tips from one of my brothers employees and went for some fast food.. I parked front end out but drove by the MR in the drive thru..

He said it was the cleanest looking 2G DSM he has ever seen and judging by the way it sounded running he probably would never race me untill he spent some big money........

I said yours looks good too and mine was also stock once.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
But if you do that, your intake manifold might melt and the bolts will come off some bottom panel

I forgot that part!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is great
Old 08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

i gotta ****. ill be back on in a bit to read the rest...........

steve
Old 08-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

hahaha
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

back and that was great.

great kills

steve