Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my car....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my car....

I have to say this seems to be a great forum.I got a good deal on a Red 1998 TA auto with 67K, Gotta say, I love the car, but I have a few problems.

First, And most important, Its got a cracked tranny mount, something Im sure at least a few of you have experienced. It causes a horrible "THUMP" on the floorboard when to much gas is applied. Ive called my local discount, pepboys, and NAPA. They all say they cant get the part "its unlisted in the system", and the pontiac dealer wants $80, isn't that ridiculous? .Can Anyone shoot me a link, from what Ive read Id prefer a hard rubber mount to poly.

Second It has a rough Idle, not all the time, just occasionally, also a slight lag when the gas is first hit. I have yet to change the plugs and wires, so Im hoping that will solve that problem.

Third, none of the turn signals work. I have the service manual, and it says its either a fuse(4th problem), or the blinker, All the fuses look good, so I think its the blinker, but I can't find it. the book says it should be under the dash in the left of the steering column, but its not there????

Fourth, I don't have the inside fuse box cover, does someone have a picture of the diagram from the cover that tells what fuse goes to what?

Fifth, one of the headlights doesn't work, it looks like the gear may have stripped, and the gear housing was taken off, and left off. its the passenger side headlight, it will not go down manually or when the lights are turned off. I see a metalic spindle looking thing pointing towards the passenger side, and on the other light motor, its covered.

other than that, the AC blows cold, the leather is in good condition, and the car is clean.The passenger window is slowing down, it has a couple soft dents, I need a radio, the gas guage is screwy, and the speedometer reads 7-8mph slower than the actual speed, witch I found out myself on the way home while I was passing everyone doing what I thought was 80.

I fell in love with that 5.7L LS1 the second I drove it, and I ready to put some work into it. Even with all that i mentioned, I only paid $7500, so I think I did pretty well.
Hope you guys can help me out.....
Thanks
JD
Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet car, thats how much i paid for my 99, but with a lil more miles.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Tranny mount is $15 at any parts house other than a dealer. I just put one in my daughters' car ('98 Z28), and it took a jack and 20 minutes...total. It will make all the difference in the world.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
Tranny mount is $15 at any parts house other than a dealer. I just put one in my daughters' car ('98 Z28), and it took a jack and 20 minutes...total. It will make all the difference in the world.
Yeah, thats what I figured, but everyone I call they say we have no tranny mount for a 1998 5.7L trans am. I think ill call tomarrow and ask for a 1998 Z28 tranny mount.....