Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

year differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default year differences?

I am looking into getting a newer LS1 (00'-02')....they are hard to come by in my area and the 01' and 02's I find are usually overpriced. I know there are a few differences between the different years of LS1 WS6's (98'-02'). I know 98'-99's had cam issues and the 01'-02's had the LS6 intake but what are the differences in the 00's compared to the other years, powertrain/drivetrain related only. The reason why I am asking is because I have been hard pressed to find an 02' w/in my budget which is the year I am looking at....but I did find an 00' in great condition w/ all the options I like (including the 02' WS6 rims) and a price I can afford....I have been searcing through the forum and found a lot of related info but perhaps some of you die-hard LS1 enthusiasts could help me out w/ just the technical related differences between the different years and what your personal recommendation would be. Thanks for any help you are willing to offer.

~Paul
Old 08-27-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the differance's between years.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
Check out the differance's between years.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213148
Thanks for the response...the main question I was trying to get an answer for is wether or not the differences between 00' and 01' are significant enough to justify not buying the 00', instead waiting and paying a little bit more for an 01'/02'. It may be personal opinion, which we all have, but I am curious what you educated LS1 enthusiasts think.

~Paul
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hardrock21
Thanks for the response...the main question I was trying to get an answer for is wether or not the differences between 00' and 01' are significant enough to justify not buying the 00', instead waiting and paying a little bit more for an 01'/02'. It may be personal opinion, which we all have, but I am curious what you educated LS1 enthusiasts think.

~Paul
I've owned both an 02 SS Camaro, and my current car, a 2000 Firebird Formula. The SS was an automatic w/ 3.23 gears and the Formula is a manual w/ 3.42s, so it's not a true side to side comparison, but I really don't notice any difference at all as far as performance goes. The LS6 intake manifold which was on the 01-02 cars does give a minimal power increase on a stock motor, but not enough that you're gonna notice a difference. At least I didn't.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hardrock21
~Paul
If you have two cars your looking at say a 00 and a 02 and the 00 is in better shape go with the 00. If you plan to mod the car the small differances wont matter because you'll be changing those parts any ways. When I bought my car their was a 01 I was looking at with more mile's some mods and less money than my 00, I ended up buying my car because it had 6,1xx miles and was bone stock. hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Onto the next related question: I listened to a lot of exaust clips from ls1sounds.com and I was just curious what setup yeilds significant power gains (exaust wise) while still sounding throaty not raspy...I am not looking to do headers, just headers back and cats or no cats; doesn't make a difference...I like noise, so as long as it is throaty, loud works for me

the car is a 2000 WS6 M6 (bone stock).....thanks again for your help...

p.s. - there is a budget, needs to be less that $1k for the entire setup

EDIT: I know I should probably make a new thread in the related section, but I figured I would keep my n00b questions confined to one thread....you understand. Mods/admins are welcome to move it if need be.

Last edited by hardrock21; 08-28-2005 at 03:24 PM.