Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How did you run your power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How did you run your power wire?

In my old Trans Am, I ran my power wire two different ways:

Initially, I just popped the PCM wiring grommet loose (couldn't fit it through the factory "sleeve" part of the grommet) and ran it beneath the PCM wiring. Unfortunately, this method allowed water to leak into the car.

When I revamped my system, I reinstalled the grommet (correctly) and looked for another place for the wiring to pass through the firewall. Again, I ended up using the PCM wiring grommet, only this time, I made a small incision in the grommet (above the PCM wiring "sleeve") and ran the wire through there. Then I sealed it up the best I could. I don't think this produced any leaks, but it certainly didn't make for a very "professional" installation.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I really didn't see any place that I could run a power wire through the firewall.

I recently picked up an 02 SS, and I've been thinking about installing my equipment in this car. However, I don't want to permanently alter the car in any way. No carpet cutting, no drilling holes in the firewall, etc. IMO the car is too nice to hack up like that. My last setup was pretty clean, but when I removed it, you could still tell something had been there. I don't want anything like that with the SS.

I've actually thought about running the wire through the factory drain hole (where the spare tire is) and just going under the car the whole way to the engine bay. What do you guys think? How did you run your power wire?

Thanks,
Jeff

EDIT: I found 2 people here who said they managed to get 0 and 2 guage through the factory grommet. I didn't think it was possible. Guess I wasn't trying hard enough.

Last edited by QUICK305; 08-27-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will fit. no leaks here with my 0 gauge ! never run it outside the car