Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a New Motor!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a New Motor!!!!!

I spun a bearing bad and need a new motor or rebuild. I live in Marietta GA and need to get this car back on the road fairly quickly as I'm having to rent a car right now which is taking more money out of the budget for the car. I have a 98 T/A with 150,000 miles on it. Everything was running well on the car till I lost oil pressure and it made a noise. Limped the car home and now it's really bad.First...rebuild or replace? I have a budget of about $4500.00. The car is a daily driver of about 50+ miles a day. Used motors with lower miles? How much does this sort of thing usually run for a basic rebuild or replacement. I know it ain't cheap on an F-body dropping the k-member and all but what do I have to look forward to. I need some serious help...quick. Shops, prices, ideas of total costs. I'm not tryin to set any track records with the car but I want it runnin again and I want to keep it!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking at roughly 1500 in labor for the swap.
All you need is a new shortblock.
You can find one for 700-1000 dollars easily in the for sale section.
You will then need a gasket set for all the cover's, heads, oil pan, etc.
That will be around 400-500 dollars for everything including new head bolts.
Your heads, and intake/TB should be fine along with you pulley, all brackets, Alt, etc.
Basicially it is a common fix and not that hard.
You could also buy a complete long block for not much more and just sell off your good parts such as your heads, cam, intake, etc.
The block you have should still be fine as well.
So for another option you can take it to a maching shop have then hone it and put new piston's and rings in.
Now if you put a hole in the block this option is gone.
Good luck.