Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! I think I already f'd up on my cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP! I think I already f'd up on my cam install!

Hey guys, as some of you know, I've got a TSP Torquer II going in. I finally started the install, and last night I got the front of the engine removed.

However, I did things a bit out of order. I removed the radiator and air lid/maf assembly, and pulled the plug wires and coil packs. Instead of pulling the valve covers and removing the rockers, I went straight ahead and tried removing the crank pulley WITHOUT locking the flywheel.

The bolt gave me very little problem with the impact I had (625 ft lb max). It came out real easy and the crank didn't turn a bit.

Tonight it occurred to me that I may have put ALOT of stress on some of the drivetrain components by leaving the rockers on and removing the crank bolt.

It didn't sound like anything else was moving when I pulled the crank bolt. I didn't hear anything snap. What are the chances I f'd something up and what should I look for?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Should not cause you any problem, I have changed pully's many times with the rest of the valvetrain intact.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

You know, I really need to stop drinking. After I read your post rally red, I realized that while I was pulling the crank bolt last night I said the exact same thing to myself. When guys do ASP pulley installs and such, there is no mention of pulling the rockers arms, so how could I have done any damage?.

Damn, this install has got me so nervous I'm losing it. Sorry mods, you can delete this thread if you want.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

May I recommend Valiums or better yet a big
Old 09-05-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, Your O.K. don't worry about it. Be carefull when you pull the stock cam out it's got some very sharp edges on it and likes to scrape bearings.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Just go take the rocker arms off, and proceed with the swap.

You did not put much stress at all on anything, when you think about how much stress is on it when its running.