Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Grilles over Speakers Vibrate

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grilles over Speakers Vibrate

So I have installed the works. Alpine 6.5 75w speakers with Alpine 75w x 4 Amp, and 10" JL Sub in Stealth Box -- and lemme tell you it sounds good until the bass plays, even with the crossover settings playing no lows to the 6.5" the stock GM grilles over the speakers vibrate and sound like absolut ****.. Anyone ever had this problem and fixed it???
Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem with the stock system. I have screwed around to fix it, but nothing is yet to work. So I'm up for any suggestions.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Launching!

I'd be interested in a non-ghetto fix for this. I've read of people putting things between the cover and the frame, but sounds like crap to me. I saw a car about two years ago with aftermarket covers on his system that looked nearly stock. I've looked around and haven't seen anything since. I know that the covers were made by audiobahn, but he may have just molded/cut his car enough for them to fit properly. Anybody with a fix that looks stock or comparable to it???

By the way, that was nearly the exact setup that I had considered doing for my car, but ran short of money lately. Glad it sounds good, minus the speaker cover rattle.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

try just going to a hobby store and look for a thick adhesive tape like the body molding tape used on cars, only 1 sided and put it on the grill edges to make it a tighter fit. i dunno, just a thought?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
try just going to a hobby store and look for a thick adhesive tape like the body molding tape used on cars, only 1 sided and put it on the grill edges to make it a tighter fit. i dunno, just a thought?
This does work.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Home Depot and bought a one-sided sticky foam for window seals. I trimmed it real thin and lined the speaker grill with it.. worked like a charm! You can't see any of it at all when installed. Its in the window section, and it comes in a roll for about $2.00.