Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question again

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question again

So i finaly desided what motor im geting im going with a 408 iron block i was woundering how much boost i could run on this motor compression is 9:5:1?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost is relative to how well air flows through the engine, which depends on cam, heads, exhaust, intake, etc... it's better to start with some performance goals. What characteristics do you want your engine to have?

Originally Posted by CarolinaWS6
So i finaly desided what motor im geting im going with a 408 iron block i was woundering how much boost i could run on this motor compression is 9:5:1?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastKat
Boost is relative to how well air flows through the engine, which depends on cam, heads, exhaust, intake, etc... it's better to start with some performance goals. What characteristics do you want your engine to have?

I second that opinion. I am not sure why everyone gets so worked up about how much boost they run, the key is to make the most power on the least amount of boost. Boost is nothing more than the amount of restriction you motor has with breathing. As engine efficiency goes up, power should go up and boost levels will go down. Like 16psi and 822RWHP. If you have to run 24psi to make 900hp, they your engine is not as efficient as it could be.
The more boost you run, the more stress you place on every part of the motor, which requires stronger parts. Thats why you cant do this and be cheap about it. There is no such thing as a reliable turbo car, making 25psi on a small budget. Not if you want it to last everyday.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
I second that opinion. I am not sure why everyone gets so worked up about how much boost they run, the key is to make the most power on the least amount of boost. Boost is nothing more than the amount of restriction you motor has with breathing. As engine efficiency goes up, power should go up and boost levels will go down. Like 16psi and 822RWHP. If you have to run 24psi to make 900hp, they your engine is not as efficient as it could be.
The more boost you run, the more stress you place on every part of the motor, which requires stronger parts. Thats why you cant do this and be cheap about it. There is no such thing as a reliable turbo car, making 25psi on a small budget. Not if you want it to last everyday.
Ok so with that being said not to get off course here. What is a good compresion ratio for a stock 5.7 for F/I???
Old 09-10-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Seems like the accepted norm is around 8.5:1... but it still depends on how much you want out of the engine! If you are running a typically lower HP application (say an STS rear mount kit) then you can get away with something a little higher. Bug if you're planning for a stronger front mount turbo system or a serious supercharger system, you're going to want to float around 8.5:1.

What you need to do is define your HP/torque goals!!!

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Ok so with that being said not to get off course here. What is a good compresion ratio for a stock 5.7 for F/I???

Quick Reply: Question again