Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Jl Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jl Audio

Hey im planning on upgrading my stock speakers with the jl audio 6 1/2s in the front with the the jl 6 inch subs for the back anyone did this?? does it sound ok with the stock head unit etc.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
Hey im planning on upgrading my stock speakers with the jl audio 6 1/2s in the front with the the jl 6 inch subs for the back anyone did this?? does it sound ok with the stock head unit etc.
It won't sound good running through a monsoon amp. The factory speakers are 2 ohm. You will get only half the volume you had with the factory speakers.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Everything should be here moday or tuesday ordered the 2 jl subs which look bad as hell, and the the two front door speakers with tweeters and crossovers

if it sounds bad ill just upgrade the head unit since the volume control seem to **** me off anyways

And how hard is it to replace the subs in the sail panel do you have to take off the whole panel or can u just take the screens out?? havent looked at it yet
Old 09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Your best bet would be to replace the factory deck with an aftermarket asap. What series JL front speakers did you get? TR? VR? XR? I'm going to assume that the subs you bought for the back are 6W0's. They will fit without any cutting as long as you make a 1/2" MDF spacer ring. There are only 2 problems I see with putting those subs in the sail panels is that those subs are #1 made to be in enclosures, not play free air, & #2 require in the neighborhood of 75 watts RMS in order to drive them properly. Even changing out the headunit to an aftermarket piece would net you only 18-22 watts RMS on its best day. (Don't believe the 50x4, 55x4, 60x4...just inflated numbers made to inflate sales.) So, IMO, to get the best sound outta those JL's, you'll need to enclose the 6W0's & get a small amplifier on them.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

yeah the subs are the 6w0s and the fronts are the xr series

So how hard would it be to inclose them i think i might just put them in and see how they sound first
Old 09-17-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
yeah the subs are the 6w0s and the fronts are the xr series

So how hard would it be to inclose them i think i might just put them in and see how they sound first
It will take some work to enclose them in the sail panel. I have thought about this and even attempted something. Didn't really sound good, so I took mine out.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

It's actually not all THAT hard to enclose the sail panels. I did it to my 2001 Camaro. All I did was take a large old t-shirt and sandwich it in between the 1/2" MDF ring I made & the speaker opening. Then I painted the t-shirt with some fiberglass resin until the entire shirt was covered. After I finished I put a balloon in the hole & blew it up so the t-shirt didn't sag. Anyways after the resin dried, I popped the balloon...and...there you go. A nice little enclosure for your JL 6W0!!! I had a Rockford 400.4 four channel amp running my 6W0's & my XR Components. I've upgraded a lot since I got the Trans Am, but I still love & use JL and would recommend the setup to anyone looking for good quality sound.