Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS sensor problems? codes P0123 and P0704

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 04:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP! Im OVERSEAS NEED HELP!! TPS sensor

I threw to codes P0123 and P0704. One of them is the TPS sensor high input or something like that anyways the car runs like ***! Severe hesitation. I think water might have fucked it up it was raining dinosaurs and elephants here in Crete today. I had this problem once in England but it went away real quick. Now it came back and brought another gremlin friend. Do I need to replace this throttle positon sensor?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:14 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTC P0123

The throttle position (TP) sensor is used by the PCM in order to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The TP sensor is a potentiometer sensor with a 5-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. Rotation of the TP sensor from the closed throttle position to the wide open throttle (WOT) position provides the PCM with a signal voltage from below 1.0 volt to more than 4 volts through the TP sensor signal circuit. If the PCM detects an excessively high signal voltage, this DTC will set.

Conditions for Setting The DTC
- The TP sensor signal voltage is more than 4.75 volts.
- The condition is present for 10 seconds.

DTC P0704

The Clutch Pedal Position Switch is a normally closed switch. The PCM applies a voltage (B+) to the Clutch Pedal Position Switch circuit. When the Clutch Pedal Position Switch is depressed (clutch pedal released) the circuit is open and the PCM senses a high voltage. When the Clutch Pedal Position Switch is released (clutch pedal depressed) the Clutch Pedal Position Switch contacts close, causing the applied voltage to go low. The powertrain control module (PCM) receives an ignition voltage on the clutch switch circuit when the clutch switch is closed. The PCM receives 0 voltage on the clutch switch circuit when the clutch switch is open.

The PCM determines if the Clutch Pedal Position Switch has failed by not sensing a clutch switch transition. The PCM monitors vehicle speed from 0 to a predetermined speed. This DTC determines if the transmission clutch switch has failed by monitoring for a clutch switch transition within a range from 0-38 km/h (0-24 mph).

Conditions for Setting the DTC
- Vehicle speed goes from 0 to more than 38 km/h (24 mph) and back to 0 km/h (0 mph) for 2 seconds without the PCM detecting a clutch transition.
- This occurs 7 times before the diagnostic reports a fault.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:06 AM
12 Second Club

So I take it I need to replace these sensors or is something wrong with my wiring?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
So I take it I need to replace these sensors or is something wrong with my wiring?
That seems probable
Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

sensor or wiring? or both?

Quick Reply: TPS sensor problems? codes P0123 and P0704