Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

big block in 3rd gen f-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big block in 3rd gen f-body

I have come across a 92 rally sport camaro with a v-6 that doesnt run for $500 and someone wants to sell a 427 with a trans and I would like some info on what I am getting my self into. I am going to carburate it I know what it takes to do an engine swap but I dont know what kind of cutting and grinding I am going to have to do.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Hi 98 T/A raptor

That swap is pretty straight forward.Get some engine to frame mounts from a SB car or even yet,a motor plate.The transmisson will have to go.Any TH 350 or 400 wil drop in but you will need the special bracket for the torque arm.I think B&M makes it.You will want a polyurathane trans mount also.Headers for this swap are manufactured by most of the header manufacturers like Hooker or Headman.You will most definatly require a glass hood like a cowl for clearance.Good luck!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that 427 a tall deck or standard height? that extra 1/2" makes a pretty big difference with header clearance on the steering shaft and floor. there really isn't much cutting involved, but be ready to call upon the hammer quite a bit. the inner frame rails could use a beating. also, you're probably going to have to go with manual steering, and a manual steering box out of an s10 will work.

trust me when i say this, get the polyurethane motor mounts for the install. my motor was all over the place before i did them.

my car's actually for sale or trade for an LS1 and i've got some pictures posted in the thread. here's the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/347694-fs-trade-big-block-496-third-gen-10-40-s-motor.html#post3169356

got any other questions, go ahead and ask.

Jim
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

if your still needing info take a trip over to www.thirdgen.org the guys over there ave very helpful and know just about everything.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

a shoe horn..lol. actually the spark plug access is better from what ive seen..
Old 10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

there is a sticky thread in thirdgen.org that tells alot of useful info
i did mine a few years back, started but never finished, scraped the whole project and got the ls1 car i have now. im fixin to build another one and my advise is
learn from others mistakes so you dont make your own!
i had no help when i did mine 9 ni internet or any friends that had done it befor. partially the reason i droped the project. i got sick of pullijg the motor everytime i tried to put 1 part in.
a few things your gonna have to be a professional hammer thrower for this project seriously , need to have a good suspension understanding, and know how to weld/fabricate some stuff.
if you can do these things its not to costly or hard to do

Quick Reply: big block in 3rd gen f-body