Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

looking for welders to give me a few tips.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for welders to give me a few tips.

hey guys i have recently borrowed a welder from my uncle to begin learning to weld.

It is a 70 amp 110 volt mig welder with no gas.

it is for me right now a learning experience and one of these days i will go ahead and purchase myself a newer/nicer unit.

But for now i have been practicing my welds and i have definately gotten better, but definately not good.

i probobly have about 3-4 hours of experience altogether and i really dont that that i am all that bad for only having 3-4 hours.

what i have been doing is cutting my factory y-pipe up wherever looks good with a sawzall and then welding the two pieces back together.

I first started and was unable to weld a bead whatsoever, however now i can sit there forever and just keep welding around the pipe.

The main problem that i am running into is:
ugly welds, what happens is i have little ***** forming all over and that is causing the weld to look ugly. is this my error? or is it due to the welder?
it seems that no matter what i do i end up forming little ***** everywhere.

Thanks
Louie
Old 09-21-2005, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the wire the unshielded type that requires gas to make good welds, or is it the coated wire (flux core) that needs no gas?

flux core welding, or welding without gas is pretty ugly. Thats typically what is done on farm equipment or field repairs.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Is the wire the unshielded type that requires gas to make good welds, or is it the coated wire (flux core) that needs no gas?

flux core welding, or welding without gas is pretty ugly. Thats typically what is done on farm equipment or field repairs.
for now its no big deal if hes just learning, hell i have a stick welder im starting with. what a PITA it is.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 AM
TMF
On The Tree

Get yourself a TIG set-up, easier to control, cleaner, and better suited for most tasks.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without gas shielding you need to run flux-core wire (FCW). FCW spatters a lot. The spatter looks like little *****.

The spatter can be gotten off with a file, chisel, or wire brush (electric is better).
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can make decent welds with flux core, but in it's nature it's not a very clean weld so it's even more important to make sure the material you are welding is clean to start with...wire wheel it, and make sure you get all the slag off when you are through with the weld.....
Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

i will get some pics for you. it is FCW. also i am not necessarily talking about the spatter but actually where i am welding ends up being a little ball every now and then.

Before a project begins i will purchase a decent 125 0r so amp welder that accepts gas, for now however i am beginning to learn with this.

Louie
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, pics would help...

as i said in the same thread you posted in the "tool" forum, if your bead is "balling up" you pry aren't moving fast enough and your heat is pry not high enough....your wire feed may be too fast as well...there are a lot of variables in MIG welding(from machine settings to the gun angle and speed you move to the different shielding gasses/fluxes to what you are welding), it takes a lot of practice to realize which ones need tweaked to get the desired effect...

Quick Reply: looking for welders to give me a few tips.