Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Got my new projector

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my new projector

Totally off topic, but anyways...

I got a new projector today. I had some problems getting it cause it required a signature, so fed ex wouldn't just leave it and they were trying to deliver it while I was at work. So finally I got them to deliver it to my wife's work.

It's an Optoma H31 DLP projector. I ended up making my own screen. It ended up being 98" diag. 16:9 screen. I think that should be good enough I made it that big, cause that was as tall as the material I made the screen out of is.

Time to go watch a movie
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Totally off topic, but anyways...

I got a new projector today. I had some problems getting it cause it required a signature, so fed ex wouldn't just leave it and they were trying to deliver it while I was at work. So finally I got them to deliver it to my wife's work.

It's an Optoma H31 DLP projector. I ended up making my own screen. It ended up being 98" diag. 16:9 screen. I think that should be good enough I made it that big, cause that was as tall as the material I made the screen out of is.

Time to go watch a movie
Hey ackattack - What colors do you have for powder coating? I'm kinda interested in adding some color to my LG2.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

"anodized red"
chrome
gloss black
a dusty blue color

I can get a lot more colors though.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
"anodized red"
chrome
gloss black
a dusty blue color

I can get a lot more colors though.
I'd like to get my intake gloss black, and my TB anodized red. Do you think that's do able. PM me the details.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Cool! I've been thinking about this too.

Mind if I pick your brain?

How is the image quality with an HD source?

What material did you use for your screen?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my DVD player has DVI-D output and upconverts the DVD signal (that's the best signal I have running to it) The image quality of that is great! I can't tell any quality loss with the large size over anything else I've seen.

I used "black out" material for the screen. Apparently is supposed to be used for curtain backing to block light from coming through. Well since light doesn't come through, it pretty much reflects it back and looks great. The width of the material I got was like 54", so by the time I got it attached to the frame that I made, I ended up with 48" tall. I suppose I could have gotten 2-4 inches taller, but who really cares at this point.

I did a little research and found that they have some special paint that has certain reflective properties that is supposed to be good. One person made a cloth screen like I did and painted half of it, and left the other have plain material. From the picture he posted on the internet, there didn't seem much advantage of the paint over the plain material, and the paint was pretty spendy.

Oh yeah, last night we were watching tv, and my wife was cross-stiching, so we had the lights up about 3/4 of the way, and you could see the tv perfectly, so even with moderate ambiant light it still looked good.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

cool stuff.
i enjoy mine as well

Quick Reply: Got my new projector