Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice

Ok, well I've been thinking about this like crazy and I need some advice from people.

I bought my TA in April ( april 7th ) and I am now payed on my payments until November and I'll be making a payment soon to put me into December, I have a 52 month loan ( paid extra to get Disability and Life insurance, please don't comment on that ) and my payments are 348.97 sence I'm so far ahead on my payments I can keep making them and just stay 3 months ahead and get a whole buncha go-fast mods, or I can keep making double payments and probably have my car paid off in about 2 years.

Now my problem is, keep making the double payments or get go-fast mods? I'm concidering picking up a second job ( sence my wife works 3rd shift and I just sit on my *** at home most of the time ) so that I can buy stuff for my car but I have this feeling that once the TA is paid off, we are going to have to buy a new car.... currently in our stable we have:
94 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 ( 118k miles on it and has front end damage, all cosmetic but it needs a new starter )
98 Pontiac Sunfire ( my wifes car, odo doesn't work sence her dad screwed with the car when we were installing stereo stuff ) but it's getting older and she said she gets the next new car ( meaning I'd probably get rid of the intrepid and take her sunfire as my winter beater )
and the last but not least my baby 99 Trans Am ( awesome car but not good for wisconsin winters! )

We are looking to also buy a house within the next year and a half aswell. We plan to take anything we get back from taxes and put that towards our only bill ( aside from the TA ) the CC. We don't make a whole ton of money but we make enough to pay a 600 a month rent and live pretty comfortable.

Any advice or anything you can toss this way, I'd appreciate.

MODS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know if it would fit into the Racing Lounge.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I'd pay the T/A off early (no prepayment penalty I take it) get the wife a new car, then get the house, then do the go fast mods for the T/A
If you're really dying to mod the T/A, do like I did, the wife agreed to a mod a month, get some of the cheaper items (relatively), then once you've accomplished the other goals, (house, wifes car, paid T/A off) then go for the heavier mods (it's alot nicer to do stuff in your own garage rather than someone elses )
Tax refund to pay off CC, good idea, get the high interest stuff gone
Check your credit score, and get pre approved for a home loan, then you know what houses you can look at, it makes it easier to find one when you're not wasting time looking at places you can't afford
2nd job for mod money, well that's up to you, but having worked 2 jobs before, I'll tell you it gets to be a PITA after a while, but it's your choice
Good Luck
Old 09-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Import Patrol

I would highly suggest, make as many payments you can, every little bit you can put towards the car, will only cut your money your paying towards interest. The problem you will find in modding first is that you end up paying you car payment the exact payment, and but mods, but then you blow out your rear end, because of the increase in rwhp, now you have a car that won't move, that your making payments on and you need 2k to get it up and running again, Pay the car off first save some of that money you saved on the interest, then go crazy on the mods.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and BTW, we already talked to the credit union when I took out the car loan and we could get a 100k house ( which is decent around here ) for 600 a month ( all taxes and crap included in that price ).

I don't have a penalty for prepayment.... I am not talking mods like FI or a new engine, I'm talking simple stuff like headers, y-pipe, stall, SFC's biggest one I think would be rims ( sence I've got the GMMG exhaust down ).
Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since you want to do the basic bolt-ons, a mod a month sounds like a way to go, you can also use the classified ads here, used parts/GPs are good way to mod on a budget (tho patience helps trying to do it that way)