Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running lean. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running lean. Need advice.

I ported my stock MAF about 3 days ago. I am now popping up SES codes saying that I am running lean on banks 1 and 2. I believe I am running lean because of the ported MAF but do not know what to do.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My 1st Love
I ported my stock MAF about 3 days ago. I am now popping up SES codes saying that I am running lean on banks 1 and 2. I believe I am running lean because of the ported MAF but do not know what to do.
I ported mine a couple weeks back. I did not get an SES lights even with the Hypertech installed, but it was running lean...I could hear the pinging at WOT over 5000rpms. My suggestion, find someone to buy the MAF ends from...I paid $30 for a new set...and go back to stock. Or, you could spend $$$.$$ for a dyno tune in which case, they could reprogram you MAF to allow for more fuel. Or, I hear that SLP sells this device that spikes your full pressure much like a dry N2O kit would do...they're high flow MAF's tend to cause the same problem. I think it costs under $100 but don't quote me on that. A buddy of mine has the SLP MAF and he's getting an SES light...he's considering that device from SLP that spikes the pressure.
Porting the MAF is a common "free" mod that people do, however for most of us, it does not end up being free !! If you're going to buy a "high flow" MAF, make sure it's one that comes with a new programed MAF to adjust for all the new air coming in. I must say though, even though the car was running lean, it was quite the beast with power!...still, it's not worth messing up the engine. Good luck to you!

Oh ya, once you go back to "stock," make sure you reset the ECU by unplugging the positive side of the battery for a couple of hours.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

I think what I should do is get tuned then. I will be installing afr heads and a cam though. I guess I will wait and after the install get a tune. Is it hard to learn to use HP tuners?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:50 AM
TECH Junkie

If you intend to run a maf, you really should replace the maf with an unmolested stock unit.

In the future, you might want to search a little more on some of those free mods. I think you'll find some of them aren't worth it.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there shall be no fear, cause my MAF calibration spreadsheet is here!
http://www.allmod.net/hpt

i fixed my friend's ported TB lean situation on first try with it.
oh yea, you do need HPT/EFILive for it, but there's enough writeups for it by now that you shouldn't have a problem picking it up quickly.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

I fixed mine by using a MAFT, but that is a bandaid. It works for now till I get my cam and tune.