Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine idle falls to about 500rpm when stopping at light occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine idle falls to about 500rpm when stopping at light occasionally

not sure if this is right place to post this issue at....but figured couldn't hurt to start here

basically...the car runs like a bat outta hell......gotta love being able to get your car sideways, or at least rippin the pavement still..depending on the grading with a quick clutch pop at 50-60 (and no, I don't frequently abuse her like that)

whats been happening lately though is that when I pull up to a stop sign or stop light to stop....the rpm's occasionally drop between 400-500....right at teh cut off range...
all it does is drop rpm's quickly, then picks it back up to around 700rpm or so and is fine...
honestly it has only stalled once when it did this....but 1 is too damn many for my ***
it seems to be more frequent with the a/c on...whether its on max or mid-level or whatever....same behavior....turning off the a/c seems to eliminate it a bit (it may do it w/ the a/c on say every 5th stop....w/ a/c off seems to be more like 8-10 stops....this is just an example...dont take those numbers to heart)
it could be in my head though too

i have to admit...ive been bad with this one....i haven't even dug into her with my own two hands yet...too used to teh LT1 I had I guess ~

it needs an oil change...which should be done tomorrow
it needs all the sensors that go out on these damn 4th gens replaced (coolant level, oil change, temp. sensor, etc.)
I have a SES light pop on every great once in awhile for about 45 minutes worth of drive time...although I think that possibly the shop didn't clear teh O2 code out of the computer after replacing teh sensor....RPM in lewisville did it..anyone got inside info on if they might haev slipped that up? kind of doubt it..they've done outstanding every time in my opinion...w/ teh exception of I was one of the unlucky folks who got the privilage of replacing both the slave and master clutch cylinders...oh joy

it does seem to run a bit hot though...freeway drive w/ a/c on runs about 190-210 range I would say (I'm guessing stock thermo must be for higher temp around 200ish)........w/o a/c just stays at the low end of that spectrum....adn the problem does seem to occur only when teh car is warmed up and around the higher end of that temp spectrum there...
radiator checked out fine...it was just flushed and tested when the O2 sensors were done (say 3 mos. or so ago)
also just had the fan motors replaced.....
obviously the clutch cylinders were replaced as well
the gas cap that was on there was *****...had no seal...so bought a new one.
I think my cat's gone to ***** too..seems to be a slight hissing under the car now....

could any of those things mentioned that need replaced cause this?

my real thought is it may be just needing the oil change....i bet its been 5000 miles (I work entirely too much)

oh yea this may help:

1999 Camaro SS
6 speed manual
LS1 (obviously)
400hp SLP performance pak (I believe this is whats on there anyway)
nice big *** 400HP decal on top of a skull just under SS side emblems (yep yep...my stickers will smoke most cars..lol)
i have no doubts its at least 400bhp though....my LT1 I mentioned got its freakin doors blown off...I think I had that built to 360bhp or so w/ an extremely aggressive shift kit and 2600-2900 stall on top I think it was....the 94 Z28 couldn't even hang at 100+....which surprised me...I thought it woulda caught up....

anywasy any help you guys can give is most appreciated
Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

it sounds pritty normal i also have a 99 ss but a4,, mine idled like 500 lookd like it fell a little lower then that but its all good...i just put in a torque converter and it kept dien so i raised the idle to about 750... but def. get an oil change every 3k miles... also if anywhere in your area get a basic tune for like 100 bucks or find someone with a tuner and have them raise the idle a tad doesnt hurt... but you should be fine... just my opinion
Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might wanna look into getting your idle retune. if you know anyone with HPT/EFILive you can do it with the idle writeup in my sig, take a look.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I Kinda Had This Happen To Me. The Hiss Would Probably Mean You Have A Small Leak, Either In The Actual Pipe, The Gasket Might Need Replacing. Check All The Gaskets Including The Egr, Header, Air, Pretty Much All The Small And Larger Gaskets On The Header And Y Pipe. Before The #1 Sensors On Driver And Pass. Side. I Had This Happen And It Would Do The Same Thing, Rpm's Drop Low And Then Raise Back Up And It Was That There Was An Exhaust Leak. I Would Bet That Answers Your Hissing And Hesitation In Rpms. Now The 99's Seem To Have A Temp Sensor Problem. I Have Had A 98 Which Read My Temp On The Freeway At 160 Or Whatever The Right Temp Was But So Far I Have 6 Friends With 99 Camaros And T/a's And Many Other People I Know And There Temps Always Read As Mine Does, 190 Low And About 210 High. Never Ever Lower Than That Once Its Heated Up. My 99 T/a Is The Same Way. Check Those Exhaust Gaskets, Just Turn The Car On And Feel Around All The Gaskets, You Should Feel Some Air Coming Out If Indeed It Is A Leak. Remember Check All The Gaskets On The Header And Y Pipe Connection. Fixed My Problem

Quick Reply: engine idle falls to about 500rpm when stopping at light occasionally