Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What combinations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What combinations?

I have seen lots of details for this engine component or that cam, but what works all together? I have a stock 98 LS1 w/115k, and A4 trans w/2.73 gears. I bought some stuff from another member with plans to do a H/C swap, but want to do it right if I am going to do a complete rebuild. Here's what I have so far:

PP LS6 Stage II heads (59cc)
Comp Cams XER273HR
7.4 Chromemoly rods
HS 1.7 Rockers
LS6 Oil pump
ARP Studs

Goal is non-strip, street daily driver car with 375-425rwhp.

I think that I am going down the right road with expectations to buy the following before the HC: LS6 or FAST Intake, Yank SS3200 TC, possibly lifters, and eventually LT headers.

The builder is suggesting a smaller cam and reusing the stock lifters and rockers. (But I am concerned about the high mileage already and would rather only do teardown once.)

Bottom line: Can someone point me to either a)an online LS1 buildup project for reference or b) recommend a good combination based on EXPERIENCES.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Teching In

ttttt
Old 09-28-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

you might need new lifters, the early ones were kind of weak in high horsepower applications, but if you're not going over 450 or 500 you should be fine, Your new rods will work good as long as they're the right length, make sure you measure the length you need when you put the engine together (DO NOT USE THE STOCK RODS), I would go with 1.75 maybe 1.8 rockers though to give a little more umph but you'll need new valve springs if you do that, springs aren't a bad idea anyways, either the beehive from comp cams or get the kit from crane I think maybe the kits at comp cams too? the LS6 manifold is a must, the FAST isn't as much needed but will give you a few extra horses compared to the LS6, but I don't think it's worth it for your application and the cost of it. Long tubes are a must also, or at least mid lengths. Oh and with the extra air flow you might want to upgrade to an 80mm throttle body and MAF which you can find from most trucks with a GEN III V-8 the LQ4 engine or LQ9 the corvettes have it too but they use an electronic throttle body which is useless for our cable TB's. Our ignition can handle up to 1000 horses so just get a good set of plugs and wires, our bottom end can handle about 500 with the exception of the rod bolts. They will probably hold but it's good insurance if you replace them, it's not hard to do either while you have the engine out anyways. and when you replace the intake manifold there's a line going under it to help cool the engine, I think it removes steam from the engine, the #7 cylinder used to have detonation issues without it. But it will fit under the new intake if you slightly grind down the support ribs on the intake where the line sits.
DEFINATELY get a custom PCM tune

Ok I know I don't have the experience or anything, but I have done TONS of research on this engine, I have a 98 Z28 too. and Most of these tips came from Will Handzel's book "How to build high-performance chevy ls1/ls6 v-8's" so it's good info. I highly recommend anyone with a GEN III V-8 to gett this book.

Oh and for the heads and camshaft, the heads should be great, LS6 heads flow a lot better than ours, but you should have them ported to flow better, and I don't know what your cam's specs are but just call comp cams or GM Performance parts and tell them what you are looking for and what you have, they will give you tons of help!

Good Luck, I hoped this helped at least the slightest.