Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problems with wiring $*!@^*!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with wiring $*!@^*!!!!

Ok.. I've spent about 2 hours trying to run a simple 4ga power cable through the gromet under the PCM. Long story short when feeding the cable through the gromet popped out of the firewall and now I can't get it go pop back in. To make the situation better the gromet is now torn into two pieces... the piece around the original wiring, then the main ring part that seals around the firewall metal.

It either pops out into the engine bay or into the car, it won't go back like it should. I can't get this PCM module out of the way either. I unbolted the 10mm bolts and tried to move it but the thing doesn't want to move far enough for me to work with or come out. I've invented new cuss words trying to get this crap fixed, but I can't seem to find any way to get that gromet back in place!!!!!!!

How in the hell do you get that PCM out of the way? It's physically too large to get through the space provided.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To remove pcm dosconnect battery, remove the 2 connectors from the top, each held on by one bolt in the center. Pull connector straight up,and move them off to the side. Now un clip pcm from the plastic holder should pull up a bit. Then remove 2 10mm bolts and move the whole thing to the side and pull pcm out of the holder. Now you can remove the holder and there at the bottom corner is your firewall grommet.

So whats the new word.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

You don't want to know. I'm going to mess with this this afternoon. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes. If I can't get it to seat again I'll just splooge it up with silicone sealant and be done with it.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Success! I got the PCM out pretty easily. I was so pissed off yesterday I couldn't really think. Taking that out wasn't that difficult at all. I used some magic electric tape to fix up some of the problems then put a little silicone sealant around with my fingertip. The gromet finally popped back in after some convincing.

For anyone that does this in the future this is by far the easiest way to do this, digging around in the floorboard trying to feed it up through the firewall won't work well at all. Go from the engine bay in and be careful not to tear up your gromet!