Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New T-56...to me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T-56...to me.

Well after a long time in the shop I finally have my car back. I had my T-56 rebuild with parts from D&D so it should work pretty well.
The problem :grumble: On the trip home I noticed a loud gear wine and about 60mph (in every gear) but only under no load (cruising). The rear end is a stock housing with stronger axles, Richmond 3.73s and an auburn gear. It only has about 2,500 miles on the rear and no major driving besides the occasional run down the street. It also feels like there is play between the drive shaft and the rear. Not sure what my next move should be, so any help would be great. I am going to pull off the jegs cover this weekend check out the teeth and replace the fluid. Anything to look for would be great. Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 PM
wrencher

Most upgraded rear's gears make some noise.
Sounds like you have some backlash in there or something is a little loose. Cant hurt to check it out.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea pull that cover and check everything over. Better safe than sorry. Hope everything is okay

Andy
Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Teching In

OK pulled of the jegs cover and looked good at first glance. Oil looked like it was brand new and no damage to the ring gear. I was puzzled. Then I started to turn the wheels and noticed that there were marks on the posi. What it looks like is that under load the pinion hits the posi. What do I need to do to prevent this from continuing? Do I need to tighten the nut on the front side more? Any help would be great.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Im curious about your problem also because my car does almost the same thing. Mine makes I slight wine noise between 45-65 and only under load in any gear. I bought mine almost brand new with 5k miles on her and now has 15k miles (been doing it since I first bought it and drives fine), I dont think mine has aftermarket gears. But I hope you fix your problem and post the solution maybe it will help me out.

Quick Reply: New T-56...to me.