Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are the performance benefits of a cowl induction hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the performance benefits of a cowl induction hood?

I just did a search for an answer using the keywords cowl induction and performance and came up with nothing whatsoever. In the far future, I'll probably end up buying a carbon fiber version of the bolt-on VFN 2" cowl induction hood. The only performance benefit I can think of would be the weight savings from carbon fiber. Are there any other performance benefits that I'm not aware of? VFN only lists the fiberglass version of the hood in their website. How much would their carbon fiber version cost? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original purpose of a cowl was to allow more space for the carb on a larger engine, and also to give the carb more air to work with, which pools up in that space between the windshield and the hood line.

For a FI car, all it would help with would be vague cooling of the engine bay, and you'd have more space up there if you had something that stuck out.

Actually one of the least effective hood designs for FI cars, but they sure do look nice, and are a necessity for large engines.

If you want a hood that will actually help something, get an Ultra Z. That design does its job very well. Also the Twin Turbo does as well, which is of similar design, but has a rectangular air box opening as apposed to one that opens before the airbox if that makes sense.

Hope some of that helps.

Quick Reply: What are the performance benefits of a cowl induction hood?