New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What entails a 'good tune'?; What do O2 sims do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What entails a 'good tune'?; What do O2 sims do?

Ive heard people always refer to a 'good tune' after modding their car, especially with H/C or F/I. What exactly does this involve? Does it involve those Hypertech programmers....and can you do it yourself? A search in any forum on this topic brought up hundreds of threads.

Also, what do O2 simms do? Do they improve gas mileage?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hypertech is a no-no. It doesnt do anything really worth while.

A good tune: Idles: doesnt die, drivability, power, stable/safe, good A/F ratio, etc.

Most people look for better power from the mods, and improved 'streetability' with a good tune.

O2 sims just allow you to not throw a code when the cats are removed. There is no negative effect other than throwing a code. You can get them tuned out instead of getting sims. However gas mileage improvement, I dont see it.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whisper
Ive heard people always refer to a 'good tune' after modding their car, especially with H/C or F/I. What exactly does this involve? Does it involve those Hypertech programmers....and can you do it yourself? A search in any forum on this topic brought up hundreds of threads.

Also, what do O2 simms do? Do they improve gas mileage?

Thanks.
A good tune involves a dyno w/ls1edit, or hptuners. Also street tuning to get part throttle and the other stuff fixed. Hypertech's suck, They are good for deleting the speed limiter and speedometer calibrations. I wouldn't pay $300 for that.

o2 sims do not improve gas mileage. They trick the computer into thinking your cats are working properly. This is for cars that don't have any. That way it won't set a ses code.