Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T/A is in the shop today. Bad synchros...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T/A is in the shop today. Bad synchros...

I went to the GM dealer where I took my car in today and walked around untill I saw it in the bay. I talked to the mechanic who was driving/working on it and he tells me It is grinding bad into fourth(duh). He also said it has a bad idler pully and hes going to check out the rear end noise. Then I asked him about the ticking noise from the engine and he thinks its a bad lifter which he said is common on LS1s. I also told him it girinds a lot more when its cold so hes going to let it sit overnight and drive it again in the morning.

Question: SHould i mention how it "whines" in 5th and 6th gear? and what causes that?

Also, I dont know if this is something I should bitch about or not but, I turned off the radio(Pushed in the button, antena went down) when I brought it in and when I talked to the guy I noticed that the antina wasnt all the way down. Now sometimes it just dosnt go down all the way but this tells me he was cruising around listening to the radio and not listening for noises or problems. what do yall think? Am i being picky?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
Now sometimes it just dosnt go down all the way but this tells me he was cruising around listening to the radio and not listening for noises or problems. what do yall think? Am i being picky?

Not necessarily.
You probably left the radio on when you took it to them
He fired it up and just turned it down.

So whats your question here?
Are you asking about your Tranny or weather or not to bitch about all the little problems your car has?
Tranny questions I might can answer.
To guide you on what you should tell the dealer is wrong with your car, well
Thats up to you.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just need tranny questions answered: Today I got a call from the mechanic saying that hes about to tear it down, and told me that although theres is deff. a grinding, if there is no "visible" evedence then my warrantee provider might not cover it. This makes me a little nervous...

The deal with the radio is that once I took my car to a dealership for some vibrations, when I got it back after saying nothing was wronge, The radio was turned way up on a country station.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to contact the warrantee provider and find out what they are going to cover. If they are going to make you pay for it, a stock rebuild is more expensive than an upgraded one. Find out what they are going to do before he tears it down. Once he tears it down, you will be liable for the labor if they do not pay for it.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joe, tear down has already started. My warrantee states: " transmission and transaxle cases and their internal components and mounts"

Maby he was just saying that because he has to? But if its grinding as bad as it is, im sure he will find something.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joe, the problem was that is grinds into 2nd 3rd and 4th while the tranny is cold, and 4th all the time. But only if shifted a little faster than normal, not like shifting for a race. Also lots of groaning noises under acceleration and a 5th and 6th gear whine. Car has 95K. Thanks for your help, Josh.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dealer called me back today and told me im getting a whole new GM transmission. sweet

Quick Reply: T/A is in the shop today. Bad synchros...