Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building Z28 into drag car, order of buildup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building Z28 into drag car, order of buildup question

After 11 years, I am finally ready to begin building my 94 Z28 into a drag car. I am financially able to do it after all this time and plan on doing the buildup completely myself (except for anything beyond my abilities....wiring and PCM). I have tackled building and installing everything in various F-body's except the fuel system, and feel I am ready to tackle my first buildup. I figure it will take about a year. Maybe 2 years depending on if my newborn is well behaved or not.

My question is where should I begin? I am putting in a low compression ls1-ls2 and a yet undertimined turbo/supercharger, a strong TH350/400 from a local shop, 9inch rear, etc. The order I plan on working right now in order is

1: Fuel system
2: Rear end/suspension/chassis
3: All LS1/2 conversion pieces
4: Build engine
5: INstall engine & tranny
6: PCM, Wiring
7: Get it running and tuned, body shop

It seems like a stupid question now that I list everything. It seems logical and I was always told work from the back of the car forward. A lot of work is already done. Full BMR/PA Racing suspension (minus 1 or 2 things) is in the car, LS1 brakes and front end are done and Roll cage is in. I figure building the motor/installing PCM harness will be the hardest part, then followed by fuel system because I have never done it. BMR LS1 K-frame is waiting for the motor already.

Or maybe I just need positive encouragement because I am about to tackle the largest project of my life (my child) and am building my first car at the same time, lol. If I can raise a kid the car should be cake. I am a firm believer that you only know if you can do something if you try, so if I build a monster or blow it up I am going to do it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would start with the rearend and suspension first that way you know EXACTLY where you cna route fuel lines, brake lines, and any excess wiring.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen
I would start with the rearend and suspension first that way you know EXACTLY where you cna route fuel lines, brake lines, and any excess wiring.
Thats what i am working on now with a local shop. Fuel systems is the one thing I do not know. I am working on whether to use a stock LS1 fuel system and tank, keeping and upgrading the LT1 fuel system or going to a fuel cell and complete custom system. The car will be driven on the street so I am leaning towards the LS1 tank to ditch the return line, a good in tank pump and lines. We are working out the fuel requirments for a turbo car, its the one thing I have to pay to be installed because its something I definately don't want to screw up. The thing is I don't know if upgrading the fuel system will allow the car to be drivable back and forth to shops with the LT1 still in it. If I ditch the return lines how do I keep the LT1 running (or limping) so I don't have to tow it everywhere.
We are also working on which rear end to go with. The debate is what gearing would be right for the combo, we can only make a guess right now; and if i should get a narrower rear or not. The debate there being if I will run the car with ET Streets full time or if I will put 18/19's on it for the street. I will probably go 2" narrower per side for a nice dished look regardless. I am still swirling from all the things that must be done to do the car right, and trying to get everything to mesh as a combo is a pain in the ****. For all those people who have built a 9/10 second car, what did all the little extras cost you, the things you don't think of that pop up like bolts and sensors etc. I figure maybe 4K extra set aside may cover it.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
7 Second Club

i wouldnt let the body shop touch it until a season of driving it.... with that much power coming from a T/C or S/C she is bound to scuff the wall if your not used to it... especially if its a totally new setup....

i understand you dont wanna hear that but..... it happens
Old 10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i wouldnt let the body shop touch it until a season of driving it.... with that much power coming from a T/C or S/C she is bound to scuff the wall if your not used to it... :
NOOOOOOOOooooooooo, don't say that. Seriously that has been one of my worries. But believe me that I will be soft-pedaling it the first 10+ passes, and I will be launch testing it plenty to get the suspension and launch setup right. So I am sure I will have some practice under my belt. I did well launching my friends 549rwhp Fox body after a few practice passes, so I think I will be fine. The body shop will be a while after anyway because I have some over the top body mods I am doing.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Do the chassis first, then build everything around it
Old 10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TApimp
Do the chassis first, then build everything around it
10-4

1) Subframe connectors/Torque Arm
2) Suspension