Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light

Since we really don't HAVE one in T/As....has anyone added one? Say from a third gen or something? If so, could I just plug into the maplights/rear light or will this suck up to much power from the BCM? If so....should I consider LEDs or wiring it differently?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There's one at the back of the roof by the hatch and there's the two map lights in the mirror. How many lights do you need?

There's no reason you couldn't use a 3rd generation light other than there isn't anything on the roof to mount it to. The BCM can handle the extra current draw although you may find that the "theater dimming" won't work quite the same.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
How many lights do you need?
As many as it takes to actually get some light in my car. It must be the WORST lighting I've ever seen in my 20+ cars. As far as mounting goes....most dome lights are simply a long piece of plastic/metal that slides behind the headliner ...then the light screws into that. Off to the junkyard I go!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The 3rd generation dome lights mounted to brackets behind the headliner that were welded to the roof. I'm sure something could be rigged to do the same job but it's something to keep in mind during your trip to the junkyard.

There was also an overhead console with dome light, map light like in airliners, and a sunglass holder available as an option in 3rd generation Camaros (don't know if Firebirds had them). They weren't common but if you find one it would probably fit fairly well.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The 3rd generation dome lights mounted to brackets behind the headliner that were welded to the roof. I'm sure something could be rigged to do the same job but it's something to keep in mind during your trip to the junkyard.

There was also an overhead console with dome light, map light like in airliners, and a sunglass holder available as an option in 3rd generation Camaros (don't know if Firebirds had them). They weren't common but if you find one it would probably fit fairly well.
I have the RPO DK6 (overhead console) from my old 85 Trans Am and I do understand how it mounted. But for example...my buddies 2000 Crown Vic has the dome light installed the way I describe. I thought about installing the DK6 in there..but I just want something simple.