Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steamclean the LS1? a no no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steamclean the LS1? a no no?

alright i know this guy who does really nice detailing. I have seen many engines he has stemcleaned (northstar v8s and my moms jag etc..) and they all look flawless. he really gets every nook and cranny of all types of engines engines with his steamclean for 30$. my LS1 engine bay is VERY dirty and i was thinking of getting a steamclean. i heard this may be bad bc of vapor getting into electronics etc.. is this true? is it a no no to steamclean the LS1? your opinions and experiences are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

An LS1 is no different than any other engine. Just use common sense and cover up the vital electrical parts(fuse boxes and PCM). Everything else is pretty waterproof.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

steaming an ls1 is no different than any other motor. try to keep all major electrical somponents dry as best as possible. an air gun after you are done with low pressure to get water out of small areas is good as well. take your time and be carefull. its a long job but its great when it is done right. gl.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may be wrong here, but isn't there an air gap under the intake? I believe there is only two pieces of foam under there to keep out debris, so you might wanna be careful there. I don't know if you could manage to get water into the recesses for the knock sensors or not, but that seems like it could create an annoyance.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

As long as he knows what he's doing, it should be fine. Modern engines are quite water tight.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

yeah there is a bit of a gap under the intake, but after he cleans it run it for a very long time so that if there is any water in the knock sensor area that it will evaporate it

Quick Reply: Steamclean the LS1? a no no?