Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New blinker stopped blinking. lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New blinker stopped blinking. lol

I just swapped out the front passenger side running light a couple weeks ago when it burned out. And today it stopped blinking, but still goes on. My right side blinker is now bonked. I did some searches but couldnt find a specific answer... any help?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the left side light come on at all? or is it totally dead?

I remember seeing another post on here recently describing what sounds like the same problem. But I don't know if he got it resolved.

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say there is one correct replacement bulb for that light, and one or more incompatible bulbs that fit the same socket. It's even possible that someone has marketed an aftermarket "replacement" that just wasn't tested properly and really doesn't work in that circuit. Just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it is the same.

If you didn't get the bulb from a GM dealer, I'd try getting one from there. You might need 2, now. Hopefully, that bulb didn't cause damage to anything else.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If none of your other bulbs blink then you probably have a bad flasher.

LS1 flasher bulbs are would be pretty hard to put in backwards (180deg off).
Old 10-21-2005, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

well the thing is it worked for like 3 weeks... and its on. not totally dead. just isnt flashing. its a sylvania from auto zone. slid right it and worked fine for a good amount of time. then just randomly stopped flashing. when my hazards are on its the only bulb not flashing but is illuminated. and i was under the impression theres only one flasher for all of the bulbs? along with 1 fuse... thanks for ur help guys. hopefully i can get this fixed up soon.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If I understand this correctly, you replaced the bulb in the right front (you refer to both passenger side and right side - those are the same side) and now the turn signal won't work on the right side.

Well, the turn signal doesn't work because a bulb is burned out. There has to be a certain amount of current flow to make the flasher break contact and a burned out bulb reduces current flow enough to make them not flash. It's never the flasher unless both sides stop working because both sides use the same flasher.

The front bulbs are dual filament - a bright filament for daytime running lights and turn signals, and a dimmer filament for parking/running lights. One filament can burn out while the other still works. So, do your DRLs work? If not then the bright filament in that bulb is burned out and that is what is causing your turn signals not to flash. If the DRLs work then some other bulb on that side of the car is causing the problem. Put on your hazard flashers and walk around the car looking for the bulb that doesn't flash.

If it turns out to be the same bulb you replaced before then check for water in the housing. F-bodies are notorious for getting water in the front light housings that causes bulbs to burn out as well as corrosion of the sockets.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

ill give it a look for water. i think the DTRL may have burnt out all together now. which would suck... lol so i should have an extra replacement lyin around. ill try n get that sucker in there and see what happens. thanks for the help u guys.