Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please Help! Hydralics Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please Help! Hydralics Problem

I have a 2000 SS (almost bone stock). I bought it at 40,000 miles it is now at 123,000. Ever since I bought it, I've had the clutch problem, where the pedal sticks after some abuse (like running the 1/4). I bought a new GM master cylinder/line/reservoir and that problem is gone.
I installed that two days ago. When I went to start my car this morning, it lurched forward, and nearly hit my garage door. I checked for leaks around the master and the line, and there was nothing, but fluid is pouring out of the bellhousing (from the slave's seals, I assume). When I opened the reservoir, it was bone dry.
I've been having a problem shifting into first gear, and reverse since i changed the clutch at 85k, and though it helped when I swapped the master, it didn't fix it completely. The clutch has never disengaged properly, and it has only gotten worse lately. I can only assume at this point, that there is too much space between the slave and the pressure plate. With thed old master, it never lost any fluid. The new master came precharged with fluid, and may have pushed the slave past it's seals. I'm using a stock 01-02 clutch/slave/master, so I wouldn't think I'd need to shim anything. But if so, where do I get the shim? What size do I use?
Basically, my clutch has been my only major problem for 83k miles, how do I finally fix this thing? I'd really like this to be the last time I have to yank the tranny to deal with this.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably needed a new slave when you replaced everything else in the system. They will wear out and if you are oozing fluid, that is most likely where it is coming from. I had one wear out under warranty, and I think the replacement is now worn as my clutch has been getting worse all year.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

The slave was changed at 85k witheverything else. But the new master extended it beyond it's seals. Now my only question is, how do I stop it from doing this to a new slave?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

its gonna be expensive, but do what i am currently doing- new mcleod adjustable master and slave cylinders (440.00 or so) but i dont wanna have to work on it ever again! i also bought a spec stage 3 clutch and a new flywheel to compliment it. so i never have to work on that crap again!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Im having the same problem. heres the plan its gonna be expensive, but heres what i am currently doing- new mcleod adjustable master and slave cylinders (440.00 or so for both) but i dont wanna have to work on it ever again! i also bought a spec stage 3 clutch and a new flywheel to compliment it. so i never have to work on that crap again!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have money for the mcleod stuff. But there has to be a way to make the factory stuff work right. I guess I'm just gonna shim it, and hope that it works out.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to repost... Made my own 1/8" spacer to put behind the slave. Solved the problem. No Mcloed hyrdros for me yet.