Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 Speaker "Lightweight" System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Speaker "Lightweight" System?

hey guys..

I have put my z28 on diet and so far it's going well, I would rip appart all the Sound system away but I'm not ready to daily drive without tunes yet.. Most of my stock speakers sound horrible, i think or obviously they are all fucked..

So i was thinking of ripping apart all the speakers and amp, and running just 2 new door speakers of the moonson unit.. Is this possible? I'm not an audiophile nor do i have superman ears so sound quality is not that important to me as long as it can keep with my true duals...

Thanks for any advice...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely. I think the Alpine SPS-170A's would be a good choice. Just ignore the mod to wire the woofer to the amp and the tweeter to the HU as detailed in the faq. Instead, just connect it to the head unit channel from the two tweeter wires to the speaker terminals (watch your speaker polarity). That should give you pretty fair sound. Although you won't have much bass. You'll probably want to put you fader to full forward, since you won't have any rear speakers.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 PM
LC
TECH Resident

aaah, thanks man.. i will try that with stock speakers this weekend and see how it works, if it's good i will buy the alpines...

thanks again!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did i hear diet? Rip all that monsoon stuff out and sell it on ebay. Take that money and buy you a cd player and two co-axial infinitys.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
LC
TECH Resident

hahaha.. Tried that with my I-pod for a week..

but the main thing is not to remove the Deck.. i want the car to be light.. but still to retain "street" look and "function"...
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LC1
aaah, thanks man.. i will try that with stock speakers this weekend and see how it works, if it's good i will buy the alpines...

thanks again!
With the stock door speakers, you'll lose all bass and lower mid-range frequencies unless you hook the woofer in parallel with the tweeter. But, you would likely need a low-pass crossover, or you might blow the woofers (if they aren't already blown). You'll have considerably less bass anyway you go. But go ahead and see how it sounds.