Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Questions

I have a few questions about "speciality" paints.
What is added to make candy paints?
How do pearl paints work?
How do Chameleon/Color changing Paints work?

I have a good idea about regular paints as well as metalflake, but just wanted to know more about these paints in particular.
Thanks
James
Old 10-27-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

pearl paints used to actually use really fine pearl powder, thats where the name comes from. now they use some sort of synthetic.

chameeon/color changin is complicated. from what i know, you put a base color, the one you want most visible. then you take a special colored clear and spray it on top
Old 10-27-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

well your kandy colors are a basically a clear with a pigment mixed in. I will use a base coat clear (not a final clear) and mix in a concentrated pigment of whatever color I would like to come out with. I can mix it so its hot as in more color, or I can keep it pretty clear with just a slight tint of color to it.
Pearls are colored pigments that show up under direct light that come in powder form or already pre mixed in basecoats.
As far as your chameleon colors from what I understand is they are specialty effect pigmented colors with angle-dependent, color traveling effects. What I was told is that each "flake" has different sides to it which is why from one angle its one color and the the next its another. I think house of kolor has a 20 flip chameleon color out and I can only assume this would have more angles than say a 2 or 3 color flop color.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

search button
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Stryker14 has hit the candy's and the pearl's pretty much on the money. But the Chamelion colors have metallics that are round like super tiny little ball bearings and that is how you get a uniformed, 360 degrees color change. Its some pretty neat stuff and a real challenge to apply correctly. And you better have you stuff together because its very exspensive. House of colors is arguably the best but the dupont stuff is OK also.