Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to the Turbo... NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Turbo... NEED HELP

I am thinking on going with a turbo. I know ya'll get this a lot but I want to know a few things about turbos. STS, TTi, ATI...what is the best my sig show my mods so far. I want somewhere in the neighborhood of 600ish if possible no spray. I have LT headers so does that have to go? Is my cam a good cam for a turbo, don't want new heads go or bad thing? Car has 42,2XX miles on it do I need to build the engine up? Do I need to cut the front of my bumper to get the intercooler more air or what? About the money I probably have enough so thats covered. The T/A TTi racing the supra in one of the videos thats car is bad *** and thats about where I want to be if possible. And im doing my research...just the more I know the better off I am.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The search function will answer a lot of your questions, but I'll try to field some since I'm in a similar boat.

First, your cam will not work well with a turbo or supercharger. Basically it has too small of a LSA and will bleed off too much boost. It will work, but far from the best choice. Would probably be OK for a supercharger, but not much for a turbo.

Next, if you go with a turbo, you're pretty much going to have to ditch the headers. For a supercharger, they'll work great.

For a supercharger, I'm guessing you may also have to change the crank pulley too, but I'm not familiar with the March setup.

Can you get to 600 (I'm assuming you're talking RWHP). The simple answer is probably, but with a stock engine it isn't going to last long, even with a great tune. You're going to have to build it up some for that level of power and the amount of boost it takes you to get there.

So that's the basics.

Also, with the M6, don't forget the rearend and clutch (and possible tranny upgrades) that come along with the new found power
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question with this in your sig: "Dont need a blower when you have 5.7 liters"

That cam would work fine for a base level centrifugal blower.

600 is a lot more power than I believe you will realistically get based on your questions, especially RWHP.

Jim
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

well if you want to keep your headers and stuff then go with the STS, it should work a little better with the headers anyways. The other kits you cant use what you got.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dont need a blower when you have 5.7 liters"
Dont need a blower? Then go to the nitrous section.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
The search function will answer a lot of your questions, but I'll try to field some since I'm in a similar boat.

First, your cam will not work well with a turbo or supercharger. Basically it has too small of a LSA and will bleed off too much boost. It will work, but far from the best choice. Would probably be OK for a supercharger, but not much for a turbo.

Next, if you go with a turbo, you're pretty much going to have to ditch the headers. For a supercharger, they'll work great.

For a supercharger, I'm guessing you may also have to change the crank pulley too, but I'm not familiar with the March setup.

Can you get to 600 (I'm assuming you're talking RWHP). The simple answer is probably, but with a stock engine it isn't going to last long, even with a great tune. You're going to have to build it up some for that level of power and the amount of boost it takes you to get there.

So that's the basics.

Also, with the M6, don't forget the rearend and clutch (and possible tranny upgrades) that come along with the new found power
Nice Info okay forget the 600 rwhp so basically I will have to change out my hole system cam, headers, pulley. With just the turbo and a new cam and tune where do you think I will be rwhp wise. It is the stock engine but its not my daily driver so I'm hoping to will last longer. I know the rearend and clutch will probably give me trouble but I worry about that when the time comes.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most of the guys say you can get by with a stock bottom end with a max of 500 whp and a good tune. Anything over that is getting risky in terms of longevity. That said, an STS setup with about 6 psi would get you there and most of the stuff you have will work OK. Weak points will be clutch, RE, and trans in that order. Drive shaft might also need attention. A better cam for the setup would probably help, but if you're not going to forge the bottom end, then it would be good enough to make the magic number of 500. You will probably need better valvesprings (918's). This is what I've picked up doing research and planning my turbo move. Others may have some better info. HTH GL

(edit) BTW, don't forget the fuel system. Bigger injectors and fuel pump to support all those hungry ponies.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-01-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: New to the Turbo... NEED HELP