Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How would you do this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How would you do this?

I'm toying with the idea of doing a small system in the Z.

I have Kicker ZX460 laying around along with the old school Kicker Resolution 6.5 components(God these things rock lol)

The amp is a 4 channel and is rock solid.

Obviously I'd have to get speakers for the sail panels and the rears.(not sure what I'd go with but that's for another thread).

How would you run the speakers? I was thinking the components and sails off the amp and the rear speaks off the headunit. Yes? No?

Also, how would you mount the components? Does Q-logic still make door pods for these cars?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

im assuming your running an aftermarket headunit?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frosty
I'm toying with the idea of doing a small system in the Z.

I have Kicker ZX460 laying around along with the old school Kicker Resolution 6.5 components(God these things rock lol)

The amp is a 4 channel and is rock solid.

Obviously I'd have to get speakers for the sail panels and the rears.(not sure what I'd go with but that's for another thread).

How would you run the speakers? I was thinking the components and sails off the amp and the rear speaks off the headunit. Yes? No?
Depends. Do you have a aftermarket head unit? What kind?

Originally Posted by Frosty
Also, how would you mount the components? Does Q-logic still make door pods for these cars?
Sure do. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K7xyt02...50&I=044K10051
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

Doh....forgot about that important part lol

I already have a Pioneer 7200 head unit(a few years old)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Don't worry about the stock rear speakers, they will just muck up the sound if you will be replacing all the others with aftermarkets and an amp. Besides deck power sounds like , especially at higher volumes as it tries to keep up with the amplifier.
First off, here's the manual (in case you don't have it)
From the specs of that amplifier, you could run an entire system off of it quite well. See the bottom "Bi-amp using ZRX module" illustration on page 7 of the manual? that's the setup you want to run the entire system (except using two sets of speakers instead of one). If two pairs of 4 Ohm speakers are used (one pair front doors, and the other in the rear sail panels) and wired in paralell to the terminals of AMP 1, each speaker should "see" 30 watts RMS. Then, a dual voice coil subwoofer with dual 4 ohm voice coils could be connected to AMP 2's terminals, and the speaker should "see" 180 watts RMS with both of those voice coils wired in paralell. Buy yourself some decent 6-1/2" coax speakers that are effecient (see Infinitys), and use 4Ga power/ground cable to wire your amp, and you should be set.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Snootch, so you're saying don't even bother with the rear speakers at all?(Don't even replace them with aftermarket pieces?)

If that's the case I know the amp will handle the rest fine, I've done it with other cars. I guess that saves me a few bucks if I'm not replacing the rear speakers.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because it's my first 4thgen. Lord knows I've done enough stereo systems in 3rdgens. I just wasn't sure how you guys had some the stuff wired up
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick

I emailed them...they don't make the tan/beige for the 98-02's

Aside from the Q-form pods what other ways could a component system be mounted in these cars and yet be tasteful?