Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cam for emissions and power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what cam for emissions and power?

so i have a few questions on what cam i would want to put in an ls1 m6, i have to pass emissions "sniffer in pipe and check for cats, egr, ect" i live in idaho and i dont think there is to many people that are able to tune the ls1s great so i cant puch it on the cam, with that said what would be a good street/strip cam that sounds mean but is still vary drivable and has a good idle!? i would do the normal bolt ons intake/exhaust, would like to do gears and i want to run my nx kit on it not sure what size yet 35-150! other then that im not sure what else i would do to it! so what do you all think?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you certainly dont want too much overlap. thats the first thing. The tune is also extremley important. please note: a tune is not 2 hours on the dyno.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:16 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

the 224 114 is what you want.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:18 PM

Check your local forum, but I think he is right a TR224 on a 114 las is probably your best bet. A tune is also important. There should be someone local that does good tunning.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Meridian Id.

You scared me man... I just moved to Meridian, and before I did I talked to a few smog tech's out here.

I JUST got stage 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads a 224 224 .581 .581 on a 112 comp cam, race style pacesetters, an LS6 intake without egr, pulley, oil pump, etc., etc.

So when I saw this post I drove down the road a mile or two to the somg station on Fairview and Locust Grove (literally)... and just as I'd been told earlier.... On any vehicle 96 or newer (OBD II) all they do for a smog check is plug their computer into yours.

This means, thanks to great tuning programs such as LS1 edit and HP tuners, you can do basically whatever you want . You can edit your tune so you won't thow codes for things like egr delete, or not having cats. Since they don't do the sniffer test, you can run whatever cam you like (with a decent tune).

I think since you had a 92 (non-OBD II) pickup prior, they probably ran those test. Where did you get your smog info. Try talking to a tech at your local smog station.
-Aaron
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aaron-- i just thoguth thay did the same test on all the cars so now that you told my that im sure your right!! well good now i just need to find an ss that i want!! there is a nother guy in meridian that has a black z28 m6 and he has a bigger cam, nos, head work "i think", exhaust, intake, tb ect, hes more into auto cross and he drives to portland for it, from what he has told me with slicks he would hit 11s.....car sounds mean but never rode in it......ive never been in an ls1 other then a 02 vet and we never got on it. im an ls1 virgin