Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Problems...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Problems...HELP PLEASE

Hey guys I have been having a crazy problem with my A4 downshifting. Now first let me say I had recently installed a TCI Street fighter converter and external trans cooler. I felt the 3000 + stall was more than I wanted to deal with for daily use so I installed my stock stall once again but left the external cooler. Now for about 2 weeks after I reinstalled the stock converter everything was working fine. Now when I go WOT and the car is at a speed that it should go into 2nd gear it seems as if it does a double downshift. Almost as if it goes into 3rd gear begins to accelerate and then it realizes it should be in 2nd and downshifts once again. The thing that really makes me wonder whats going on is the fact that if I take off from a dead stop I have no problems going into 2nd under WOT and both 2/4 hold perfect. At first I thought maybe something was wrong with the 2/4 band or maybe even had a problem with the seal around the 2nd apply piston or even the piston itself. So I changed the fluid and filter so I would be able to inspect the pan for any unusual about of material but the fluid has a good smell (doesn't seems to be burnt), the level is correct and no unusual amount of clutch dust was found. I have also thought about resetting my shift TAPS through the Tech II and see if maybe the car some how lost its memory. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vic
Old 11-06-2005, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

you are one of the very rare people ive heard of putting there stock converter back in. As far as your other problems.you should have left the street fighter in,had the transmission tuned and you wouldnt of had these issues
Old 11-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Yeah I know I'm one of the few that didn't want to deal with it....just really felt to loose with the rear gear i have, the weight if the car and everything in general. I mean my '69 SS has a 4800-5000 8" race converter and it doesn't even feel as loose as the SF 3000 did in my Z. But putting the converter back in isn't going to fix the problem. Never had the problem before the converter and for 2 weeks after I put the stock converter back in it was fine. Only recently has this problem been driving me crazy.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to sell the TCI? I live in Florida too.
I have hp tuners for a 2002 also, with that we could log a run and see what your car is doing. Where in FL do you live?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Hey jxaxsxoxn I am looking to sell the street fighter and I live in Port St. John its in between Cocoa and Titusville if you know where I'm talking about. I'm asking $150 for the converter. My e-mail is racewaykid@cfl.rr.com if you're interested.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Teching In

anyone have any ideas or anything?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought about the problem, I have no ideas. Maybe we'll figure that out later. If I pick up that converter I can run hp tuners scan on your 2002 and see if anything looks out of the ordinary.