Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change my tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my tranny fluid?

I have a 98 Trans Am and it has a 4l60e which is leaking from the rear tranny seal. I have to add fluid quite a bit all the time (I know I should just replace the seal which I soon will). My question is this: Since it is over 100k and I don't know when the last time it was changed, then should I just change out the fluid? I know many times people say not to since it may get the tranny to slip so I don't know what to do. Also when installing a torque converter will I need to change the tranny fluid anyway? I'd hate to make an upgrade like that only to see the tranny bite the dust! Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 11-06-2005, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

The people that tell you not to change your ATF rebuild transmissions for a living!

FYI, that business about new ATF causing your tranny to "slip" is BS. I change mine every 30K and always have.

Use a brand-name, non-synthetic Dexron III and your tranny will thank you for it.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its slipping and the fluid is brown then changing it will remove the clutch fibers that are holding it together so after 80k be careful to check that before changing the fluid. I've seen guys with 130k come in saying that their tranny is slipping and the fluid is red to find out that they had a problem and thought the tranny service would fix it and instead made it worse. if the fluid is red and the tranny shifts fine then by all means change it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool! so how to i check to see if it is red or not? Also, when i was racing a buddy the other night i thought it felt a little weird shifting. when it was up around 80-90 or so. If the fluid is red should I change it?
Old 11-06-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull out the dipstick and check the level while doing so look at the color and smell it. if red no problem. if brown and smells burnt that means that the fluid has lost its viscosity which is fine to change if it still shifts good and I'm talking part throttle normal driving. If its brown and slips everyother shift or so then its too late and the clutches and bands are going out.