Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help with steering wheel wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with steering wheel wear

The leather steering wheel on my 2002 Z28 is showing some wear at the stitching near the lower left of the wheel. This has been caused by my leg rubbing against it when I get in the car. I would think this is common on Camaros, and maybe Firebirds too if they use the same wheel. I've heard that nail polish works well for touching up his sort of thing on leather, so I thought I might buy some black nail polish and give it a shot. Has anybody else ever heard of this technique? If so, does it work well? Anybody have any other ideas for touching it up? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point of the clear nail polish is to trim up the fraying threads, and then seal them up with something (the polish) to keep it from spreading. This probably won't work all that well if you keep rubbing against it.

Since your car is a 2002, it probably has lots of life left in it. I would pick up a spare wheel off ebay or salvage yard for cheap while you still can, if this is something that really bothers you. Not a lot of demand, they sell pretty cheap. Good insurance.

There are a lot of parts that are / going into discontinued from GM. Suppliers are typically required to provide service parts for 5 years after end of production.

I plan on keeping my car for many years, so I've been picking up little spare parts on occasion. Like window switches and seatbelt loops, the stuff that is on a failure timer from day 1.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. Good point about picking up parts before they're discontinued. I don't know that I'll be keeping this car all that long, though, but I may.

On my car, it's not actually the stitching that is worn, but the leather itself, near the stitching, where it sticks out a little bit to form a ridge. I may pick up an extra wheel, but would like to make this one last as long as possible.