Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange front brakes

First off, is the seal that comes with the kit wrong? It fits loose on the spindle. There were no instructions included other than the pic of the assembly broken down showing you how it goes together. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm almost certain that its the wrong seal. I haven't begun the install, just noticed that. Is there anything else that I should be aware of such as cutting, welding, relocating, fabbing, etc.? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Took some measurments...outside diameter of the spindle where the seal slips over is 1.943 and the inside diameter of the seal is 1.970. That is why the seal doesn't seal/fit snug. A salesperson from Strange states that the manufacturer that they get the seals from packaged the seals wrong. I got the right box, but not the right seal. Chicago Rawhide 19748 is what I was suppose to have. If it was the incorrect seal, what's the correct seal's inside diameter? Anyhow, if I can't find anything soon, then I'll just have to do this all manually through a catalogue at a local parts store and get a seal that is slightly smaller. Is there a tolerance range I should be looking for? For instance, should I get it 3 thousandths, 5 thousandths, 7 thousandths, etc. smaller than the spindle? I found a seal with an inside diameter of 1.937 which is 6 thousandths smaller.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm how bout you just tell Strange to send the right seal out to you/ I'm sure it'd be a no hassle ordeal and then you know you'll have the right part
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club NA

Because I know they're not gonna send me out a seal overnight so that I can have the car back together for this Friday. Plus they don't have the right seal in stock, or at least they say. I'm gonna have to find something local, that'll be the fastest thing to do.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok I got the scoop now. The Chicago Rawhide 19748 seal is the incorrect seal for the kit. The seal was correct for the box, but what is suppose to be in the kit is a National 6815. 1.937 inside diameter 2.5 outside diameter.