Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience changing the plugs and wires.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My experience changing the plugs and wires.

The plugs: NGK TR55
The Wires: Taylor 8mm spiros

I went ahead and tackled the hardest part first. I took off the passenger side AIR (easy). Then proceeded to remove all bolts from passenger coil rack. The last boly every one is talking about isnt that bad...of course, if yo u have the right tools. A deep 10mm socket and a 3/8 ratchet that has a nifty handle that turns the bolt when you curl the handle (kinda like doing forearm curls if you work out). Anyway, that ratchet with the twistable handle makes this job work wonders. That bolt in the back was a cinch. But no I didnt put it back on.

Next came the plug wires. The back one was the only one with a struggle and even with my temper, I dont see what the big deal with that one is for some people.

Then the plugs. I started with #8 naturally and Id say this was the worst part of the install. However, I used a 5/8 spark plug socket on the plug first, I then connected a Husket flexible ratchet (see the other forum that has the label talking about the #8 plug install). This tool did make the job in fact easier. Came right out. Excited about this ratchet I began to do the next plug. The ratchet died. Seriously, it was stuck on only tightening. What a piece.

So I went back to #8 plug hole. I decided to complete each spark plug hole before going to the next. Getting it in there was fine, since my Husky ratchet only did tightening.

The other plugs came out with ease. I installed each plug with anti-seeze and placed each plug into the sprak plug socket first, then put the whole assembly into the whole. I never had to use a swivel on this side of the engine.

Now came to put everything back. Putting the bolts back into the rack was only annoying with the fact that I wanted to connect the #8 plug wire to the #8 coil first. Deciding to do that, I went ahead and put the wires onto all spark plugs first.

I dont see what all the fuss is about with these Taylors. These werent even the better ones and they clicked onto the spark plugs no problem. I used dielectec grease that came with the set (thanx Taylor) and put all them all hearing a click on each plug. When doing the wire to the coils however, it was a bitch getting the #8 on before the bolts, but when I was just about to lose my temper I heard not one, but two clicks. Hold the phone, I thought MSDd has the two click hit? Hmm, guess Taylor has them too. I then bolted up the rack and proceeded to double-click each wire onto the rest of the coils. Yep, you heard it here folks, two clicks from good ol' Taylors. After that side was done, I put the AIR back on, got some water, and went into the driver side.

I didnt even remove the coil packs on this side, nope, didnt touch one bolt. I did remove the AIR, which was harder to do on this side than it was on the passenger due to the ******* fuel lines in the way...and some steel braided lines in front of the AIR (are they brake lines?). Popped all the wires off, again, easy. Then proceeded to use the spark plug socket and NOW swivel to remove the spark plugs. All came out fine, but when switching out the plugs with the new ones, I overtightened one. I heard a SNAP....then I heard an OH JESUS...followed by my finger feeling the sparkplug, now feeling sharp...followed by an OH ****. I pulled it back out and yep, cracked the ******* plug. Bitch might as well be made of glass. So I drove to auto zone and advance auto, only to discover they have no NGKs. Car quest did though, so I rushed back and finished the job. Everything else was a daisy.

I do have long tubes and everything was done from the top. I removed my lid and filter, put a towel where the filter lies, and thats where I laid on the engine to do most of the work.

Thanks for everyone elses previous trial and errors to make my sprak plug change a breeze.

Your truly,

No real mechanic.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Nice man. I made the mistake of putting on my Plug Wires and Spark Plugs AFTER i did my header install. I was able to get the drivers side swapped out with no problems, but the passenger side

I eventually just had it taken in and they charged me freakin' $350 for the labor. That is the last time i EVER make a mistake like that.

Glad to hear you were able to do most of it yourself.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I eventually just had it taken in and they charged me freakin' $350 for the labor. That is the last time i EVER make a mistake like that.
is that even legal?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Nice man. I made the mistake of putting on my Plug Wires and Spark Plugs AFTER i did my header install. I was able to get the drivers side swapped out with no problems, but the passenger side

Glad to hear you were able to do most of it yourself.
You said you did the driver's side so the passenger side cost that much? Jesus, the passenger side took me an hour at best to do. And I am all thumbs when it comes to this ****.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well, on my way home from class, I felt hesitation. God damnit, I was trying to remember if I cracked a plug on the passenger side. At least, I hope I did, cuz otherwise, I wont know which one is giving me problems.

ALSO!!!!

After hand tightening a plug with a 5/8 socket, how much tighter should a person go? I went maybe half a turn.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AKIRA
Well, on my way home from class, I felt hesitation. God damnit, I was trying to remember if I cracked a plug on the passenger side. At least, I hope I did, cuz otherwise, I wont know which one is giving me problems.

ALSO!!!!

After hand tightening a plug with a 5/8 socket, how much tighter should a person go? I went maybe half a turn.
Check the plug wires, easiest thing first

Make sure they clicked 2x. I know you said they did, but check. (Both ends for that matter.)