Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Where to tune in Central/Southern Cali.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to tune in Central/Southern Cali.

Where have you guys gone to get your cars tuned? My car is a 1994 rx-7. I'll be running a trex cam, ported tb, pulleys, longtubes, exiting thru an apexi n1 dual with a 100/150 nx wet shot. I will be running this setup with an hp-tuner.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

charlie at a&a corvette, all the way the best tuner i feel in southern cali.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy software, tune car. It will be much more rewarding.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Monterey, let's talk.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
Buy software, tune car. It will be much more rewarding.

While I would agree, if you want it done perfectly or as close to perfect as you can get it the first time, check out Race-prep in SoCal. It's a drive but TOTALLY worth it - I myself make the 2 hour drive down there when I need something done I can't do myself - they're the only ones I trust working on my baby now. They've got a VERY talented tuner who knows his stuff - he's especially knowledgable about LS1 and LT1 engines. While they may cost a lil more than private tuners (around $400) they won't lowball you on dyno pulls - they WILL take ALL DAY and as many pulls as needed to get your car dialed in just right *You get what you pay for!*. Brian's great and he has a very professional and knowledgable staff - they're great with custom jobs too! Good luck!

- Ryan
Old 11-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any experience with speed engineering in fresno?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
While I would agree, if you want it done perfectly or as close to perfect as you can get it the first time, check out Race-prep in SoCal. It's a drive but TOTALLY worth it - I myself make the 2 hour drive down there when I need something done I can't do myself - they're the only ones I trust working on my baby now. They've got a VERY talented tuner who knows his stuff - he's especially knowledgable about LS1 and LT1 engines. While they may cost a lil more than private tuners (around $400) they won't lowball you on dyno pulls - they WILL take ALL DAY and as many pulls as needed to get your car dialed in just right *You get what you pay for!*. Brian's great and he has a very professional and knowledgable staff - they're great with custom jobs too! Good luck!

- Ryan
Where is race prep located?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
charlie at a&a corvette, all the way the best tuner i feel in southern cali.
So how was Saturday? I was going to go but had other plans already made. I live close to you. I am in Hemet.

Also a&a are they not right by you?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

1 BLOWN V8 heres their website

http://www.race-prep.com/
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rg42284
1 BLOWN V8 heres their website

http://www.race-prep.com/
They are less then a hour away. I think I called them a month ago and they quoted me $800 to tune it.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

How about Synergy up in Fremont? They claim to specialize in HP Tuners, but was want to know what you think
Old 11-22-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

I've heard nothing but great things about Synergy. I'd have no reservations recommending them.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

- Ryan
I just worked on a car that had a VERY expensive race-prep tune in it. We put a new trans in it and took it out to the track the next day. This car has the potential to run 11.5xx-11.6xx, but the shift points were jacked up. It ran 12.2xx b/c the driver had to completely lift off the gas to shift 2-3. It would bounce off the limiter. We even called them a couple days later and all they could say was "bring it in, we'll fix it", when it should've been fixed the first time. If they do such a good job, it should've never been an issue.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Where is race prep located?

Bermuda Dunes... right outside of Palm Springs... while I can't say about the post above whether or not someone else messed with the tune, I've never heard of Tad having that problem tuning autos before... my tune has been in for well over 17 track passes and about 8k miles and has done flawlessly... great gas mileage and runs like a beast... no more detonation either

There are a couple people (not saying you're one of them) that have something against Race-prep because of some problems that came up after they had work done at the shop... they bash them whenever they get the chance even after refusing to come back into the shop to have it fixed for free... but hey... I'm not the only guy that's gotten great service from them... ask the kid that just got his 11sec Impala finished by them how he likes it...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

There are a couple people (not saying you're one of them) that have something against Race-prep because of some problems that came up after they had work done at the shop... they bash them whenever they get the chance even after refusing to come back into the shop to have it fixed for free... but hey... I'm not the only guy that's gotten great service from them... ask the kid that just got his 11sec Impala finished by them how he likes it...
Umm...The car had issues from the tuning, not from the trans that was installed. You seem to be happy w/ their tuning. I see your dyno #'s in your sig....only a 13.8?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LACR (I'm assuming from the DA) is a high altitude track, keep that in mind.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
LACR (I'm assuming from the DA) is a high altitude track, keep that in mind.
3,000DA isnt a big deal. I ran 12.26 w/ 2700DA w/ the mods in my sig. Btw, LACR is right around 4500+DA if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NICKZ28
Umm...The car had issues from the tuning, not from the trans that was installed. You seem to be happy w/ their tuning. I see your dyno #'s in your sig....only a 13.8?

That's with a 2.2 60' on regular street tires.. you're probably getting a 1.7 or lower with those MT ET streets... it's also my first stick and I DON'T EVER power shift it as the tranny has had problems since I bought the car so I try to take it easy. It's the driver - not the car. Tuning's flawless as far as I can see and the engine's running strong as $hit. Ask any village idiot... Autos will always pull significantly better times the M6's especially with high stalls and a 4000 is DEFINATELY high... don't think there's a single person on this board that would dispute that. My mods are more in prep for what's to come - either turbo or H/C/I/spray... they only netted me around 12RWHP and a happier driver with the shorter throws and crisper shifts (only the lid was done when I bought the car).

Car has only been dragged at LVMS (vegas)... DA's an approximation and usually closer to 3,400+ but I wanted to be conservative.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

That's with a 2.2 60' on regular street tires.. you're probably getting a 1.7 or lower with those MT ET streets... it's also my first stick and I DON'T EVER power shift it as the tranny has had problems since I bought the car so I try to take it easy. It's the driver - not the car. Tuning's flawless as far as I can see and the engine's running strong as $hit. Ask any village idiot... Autos will always pull significantly better times the M6's especially with high stalls and a 4000 is DEFINATELY high... don't think there's a single person on this board that would dispute that. My mods are more in prep for what's to come - either turbo or H/C/I/spray... they only netted me around 12RWHP and a happier driver with the shorter throws and crisper shifts (only the lid was done when I bought the car).

Car has only been dragged at LVMS (vegas)... DA's an approximation and usually closer to 3,400+ but I wanted to be conservative.
Specify what reg. street tires you have. Some people consider nitto drag radials reg street tires.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NICKZ28
Specify what reg. street tires you have. Some people consider nitto drag radials reg street tires.
That's just it. My 60' has been pretty much the same since my bald Firestone Wide Ovals... went from 2.4 to 2.2... with the 2.4 (when the car was as I bought it from the previous owner) I ran a 14.7 @ 98... still can't drive.