Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions, how to get out broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions, how to get out broken bolts

Ok, the nut that is used to hold down the strap attached to the PCV hose, onto a 2 sided threaded, 10mm bolt, on the passangers side.

anyway, i was tightening down that bolt (not the nut), down into that spacer, and into the block, when the bolt decided to break.

I dont think its a big deal, the broken part of the bolt is snuggly holding everything in place, and i dont care if i cant attach the pcv strap.

But, any tips on how i might go about getting the broken part out?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the bolt didn't bottom out you can try to spin it out with a small screwdriver. Also if you can get a drill on it turn the drill in reverse and spin it on the broken shank. If it bottomed out the you can drill a smaller hole in it and try a easy out, or you can drill the whole thing out and put in a helicoil.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar happen to me whenever i torqued down some of my bolts wrong. If the top of the bolt is up at around the top of the block, or at the top, then you can get a chisel and a hammer and try to turn it by hitting the top of the bolt to where it turns it. That seemed to work alright for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it out thanks!

I didnt realize, the 'spacer' was the plug...I was able to move it aside, then get enough of a grip on it, there was enough sticking up out of the hole in the head.