Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem! No voltage after battery hookup wrapping up cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem! No voltage after battery hookup wrapping up cam install!

Getting ready to start this pig after heads/cam/intake/headers install

connected + side
connect - side and more sparks than I can ever remember
screw terminal in and battery measures no voltage :O

disconnect - side and battery measures 11.8v

any thoughts, I can't see any problems
Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

hrm
found out the short!

There is a black cable that is tied into the 3-4 red cables that enter the + terminal of the battery! This black cable goes down to the alternater I think. I had it mounted to a ground terminal/bracket on the alternator. Obviously tracing it back now the + battery was then connected to the motor and once the negative terminal was connect it completed the circuit with not good results.

So now, I have that Dx'd, however I don't know where in the hell that black cable goes. IF it helps, it has a rubber boot that goes over it once it's connected whereever it should!

can someone let me know where this goes?
thx
Old 11-22-2005, 07:42 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Made me curious so I went outside in my skivvies with a flashlight to look. All I can see is the black wire enters black harness tubing behind the fans and exits toward the Alt, couldn't see what it was attached to.
Unfortunately, when I raised the hood I heard a scrunch, the L rear of the hood contacted the 1/4 panel (guess the mount is sprung).
Sorry couldn't help more.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the back of the alternator is the positive battery terminal, it goes there and provides the charging circuit back to the battery.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

yeah thx. got it
Old 11-26-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes the case for labeling connectors and wire terminals as you remove them and taking a few pictures with your digital camera as you pull down the motor. It sure helps when putting things back together. Furtunately most of the connectors on the LSX are each of a different size and shape so they are hard to get mixed up. Of course you could still get the injector connectors crisscrossed if you try hard enough.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

yeah,
in this case I'm 99% sure I connected everything else up right. The alternator wouldn't have been an issue, but I had a friend helping me and he took that apart, and I asked him how it went together and that's what he told me to hook it to which was wrong.

In any event, I'm going to have it looked at by a guy who's done alot of work on my previous cars. I'm tired of messing with it as I just don't have the time. This was a project I wanted to do, to know I could do it. I think mechanically, the parts I added are golden. Just need to fix more stuff that was broken prior to me buying car :O