Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside the BBK SSI manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside the BBK SSI manifold

I just recieved a new BBK SSI manifold to match my ported BBK 80mm TB. I'm going to be putting together a custom direct port this winter. Just thought you guys might like to see what the inside looked like. Maybe some of you could post pics of different manifolds such as the LS6, FAST, Holley etc. to compare.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it. Alot of people dont like aluminum comparedtop composite for the heat soak issues but for the track I think icing down an aluminum intake may get colder than icing down a composite intake.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't buy into the heat soak at all. I've been an auto tech for 20 + yrs and have built my share of motors. All performance manifolds in the past have been aluminum. You have to realize that on LSX motors the intake manifold is a dry manifold. There is no coolant passages like in the SBC motors. Also there is no hot oil splashing on the bottom of the intake. The amount of time that it takes for the air charge to go through the manifold is a second or two. An engine is nothing more than an air pump. And these engines move alot of air at a rapid pace. A microwave can't even heat something that much in that amount of time. Until someone can show me proof that the intake charge is significantly higher with aluminum manifolds I stand by what I say. I'm not talking about putting your finger on the manifold either. I want actual air temps.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a TON of intake volume for a stock CI motor to to fill... with hot air .
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the air is only in there that long then why dont we run our motors at 250*? you would be suprised how fast heat transfer goes on and heats that air up. the air passes through there, trying to cool it off yet cant keep it cool at all. like you said, all old manifolds were aluminum, BUT they all had hot fluid going through them or around them so a composite wouldnt do anything. looks good though.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

How much did you pay and where did you get it from