PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post in need of a lot of help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post in need of a lot of help.

first off i just want to say that ive been searching for this solution for a while. And this is my first post. you've all been a lot of help to me but i still have this problem.

Im really sorry for the long post.

my car is a 2001 trans am M6 with the following mods. 43,000 miles
-loudmoth exhaust
-slp lid
-slp maf
-stock tune

basically whats going on is when my car is under a load its basically stuttering and it won't accelerate. The SES light blinks when it does this, however right before this happens the speedometer gauge goes a little crazy and makes small jumps upwards of the speed. as soon as i let off the gas the car drops idle to about 500 rpm. until i let it set for awhile to relearn the idle (?). If i where to drive the car again without reseting the computer it will happen more often then if i were to reset the computer and drive again. So i assumed that since the SES light was blinking then it would be a misfire problem.

so heres whats i did
-Cleaned MAF
-Put in new spark plugs NGK-TR55
-changed fuel filter
-checked for vac leaks.

from this point i reset my computer. Still having the same problem. Heres what i did next.

-Changed out MAF from the stock to the SLP MAF
-Changed plug wires.

reset computer.
Still having the problem. did some more research and it seems that the o2's might be a problem.

-unplugged front and rear o2's

still having the problem. so i plugged them back in and reset the computer again.

-checked batt terminals all looks good. no arching on AC
-checked ground wires (except for drivers side on back of head. Checking that after i post)

i forgot to mention that after each test run my car would pull a couple of codes finally but will reset if i restart the car. the codes that i pulled at one time were

p0480- malfunction exist in control circuit for cooling fan 1
p0481- malfunction exist in control circuit for cooling fan 2
p0803- malfunction exist in control circuit for skip shift solenoid
p0122- TPS iput is lower than expected
p0412- malfunction exist in circuit for switching valve A of the secondary air injection system (?)

p0418- malfunction exits in circuit for relay A of secondary air injection system

p0230- malfunction exists in primary control circuit for the fuel pump

p0449- malfunction exists in circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the EVAP emission control system.

like i said before if i were to restart the car these codes along with the Service Engine light would go away.

I have no idea what this could be. after i check the back of the drivers side head grounding bolt i was going to look at the TPS. it seems to only do this under WOT or when the engine torques. if that isn't it ill check the fuel pressure (don't have a gauge handy) and then the pump.

how long does it take the computer to fully relearn everything from the reset by pulling the fuses?

any ideas or should i just blow this car up.

ps im new to the ls1 but i love it when it used to work right.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd check your pcm terminals, see if some moisture got in there. I had an electrical problem similar, lots of random codes popping up, mostly voltage related, pcm had some corrosion, took the red/blue connector things off, used a lot of electrical parts cleaner, fixed problem.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

ok this is weird. i was driving the car stuttering again. pulled over, unplugged the TSP drove it for a while, Service engine light came on, drove a little more. pulled over plugged TSP back in, drove it a little more. Came home turned it off, restarted the car. Service engine light went off. took it for a drive, idling fine, did not stutter under acceleration. drove it for about 30 minutes and was working fine even at 5500 rpm at WOT. i've decided my car is having random mood swings.

thanks, i will check that out in the morning.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

WOW! Sounds like you got it pretty bad.

Did these problems just start? By chance have you recently detailed the engine bay?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Teching In

actually yeah, i did detail it a while ago, but these problems started about a month after i detailed it.. the problems started at the beginning of this nov.

i was looking at the seal thing on the TPS plug and is was melted pretty bad. is it common for these sensors to go bad?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Seal on TPS connector melted...?
What did you use to detail engine bay...?

If connecters get wet, moisture can seep past the seals and wreak havoc in two ways:
a. moisture causes shorts and/or intermittent connections,
b. moisture causes corrosion in the long term.

You probably should unplug each connector and blow it out with clean/dry compressed air.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Teching In

That little water seal thing that goes on the connecter to keep water out. I think i just did water the dried off everything that i could.