Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners vs EFI Live ease of use

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners vs EFI Live ease of use

Currently I have an older version of LS1Edit and a limited version of HP Tuner. I want to get rid of the LS1EDIT and want to know how user friendly HP Tuner VS EFI Live is. I am used to using systems like MEFI DFI and FAST.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

IMHO EFILive is easier to use but I am sure we will get answers from both side and this may even get locked. For the ***** and grins you can download a demo version of EFILive at http://www.efilive.com/downloads/sof...09_451_324.exe and test out the scanner and the editior for yourself. It comes with a few stock tunes for you to fool around with. Have fun
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dinker486
Currently I have an older version of LS1Edit and a limited version of HP Tuner. I want to get rid of the LS1EDIT and want to know how user friendly HP Tuner VS EFI Live is. I am used to using systems like MEFI DFI and FAST.
since you already have our software, have you upgraded to v2.0 yet? Our software is very easy to use and has all the features and functions you would need to tune with. However, as always, its the guy using the tools that determines the final outcome. The help file is full of useful info on what the various parameters do and a number of guides that explain the basic's of tuning.

Chris...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I already own LS1Edit and EFILive, and have used a friend's copy of HPT 1.x a few times. Heck, I'd love to OWN an HPT setup so I could demo each to folks when they ask me which package is best (often), but I can't justify the expense for only that reason. Haven't had the chance to work with HPT 2.0 yet, but the screenshots look nice!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that makes Efilive easier is The customer support with a phone number you can call to ask questions.. Also a starter tune that gets you really close to your needs. I have been doing that for quite some time now for them and it has been very fun.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I just like HumpinSS and wait4me have owned LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, and EFI Live. Every person I have talked to that has owned all three only use EFI Live now. To me it is laid out better and easier to use. Example:

If someone is talking to you about adjusting the Open Loop A/F table.

In HPT you would hear this: Goto Fuel Control - Open & Closed Loop - Eq Ratio.

In EFI Live you hear this: {B3605} That will take you directly to the table in question. Much easier then trying to decipher where the other tables are to get to the one you want. Also, some people have a hard time deciphering which is lean and rich with EQ Ratios. In EFI Live, they give you the option (and many others depending on your preference) to view the tables in actual AFR.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Put the two software packages head to head in both visuals and user interface and HPT will win.

I am a developer of HPT, so you could say my oppinion is biased..

However.. We are already on our second generation of software, which was built with over a years worth of feedback from our existing customers.. We also have been selling a Editor + Scanner product for longer as well..

Our current generation of software, VCM Suite 2.0 is designed with user interface as a very high priority.

The great thing about our user interface that you won't find in other products... is that it is very graphical.. and very modern. Through the power of our new interface (which is one of a kind), we can cover most users from first time tuner to full blown tunershop through the various aspects of our interface. It's that powerful.

We have quite a few screenshots on our website as well as our help files for download.. but the best way to really appreciate the power is find a local friend with HPT VCM Suite 2.0 and have them show you around a bit.

Our scanner, as powerful as it is, is still very easy to configure. And we have it all documented very well in our help files.. almost every aspect of the application, in a sorted and easy to use help file system.

There was also a recent poll here on LS1tech and LS1GTO.com... HPT won the user poll as well on each forum.

We also have our product in the hands of many of the big tunershops on LS1tech as well.

Shoot me an e-mail and I can see what we can do for you.

Thanks!

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black02SS
IAlso, some people have a hard time deciphering which is lean and rich with EQ Ratios. In EFI Live, they give you the option (and many others depending on your preference) to view the tables in actual AFR.
here's a quesiton for you, for the PE adder tables (and the other EQ adders) how do you do it in AFR? FYI, I actually had this idea for v1.0 (along with the VE % idea) but we abandonded it because 400 + 12 = 11.65 is kinda confusing for the average person. Not to mention if you are running flex fuel where stoich is not fixed. It's not a perfect system...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gameover
here's a quesiton for you, for the PE adder tables (and the other EQ adders) how do you do it in AFR?
It's a secret
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gameover
here's a quesiton for you, for the PE adder tables (and the other EQ adders) how do you do it in AFR? FYI, I actually had this idea for v1.0 (along with the VE % idea) but we abandonded it because 400 + 12 = 11.65 is kinda confusing for the average person. Not to mention if you are running flex fuel where stoich is not fixed. It's not a perfect system...
I may not understand your question but I will try and expain it the best that I know. As we all know how the AFR is calculated, for the users that have trouble with math and don't want to spend the extra time, it is converted for you. I have attached two screen shots to show the difference. Same table and same values, just one is AFR and the other is EQ Factor.
Attached Thumbnails HP Tuners vs EFI Live ease of use-afr.png   HP Tuners vs EFI Live ease of use-eqrat.png  

Last edited by Black02SS; 12-01-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black02SS
I may not understand your question but I will try and expain it the best that I know. As we all know the AFR is determined by taking stoich and dividing it by the eq ratio (14.63/1.12 = 13.06) So for the users that have trouble with math and don't want to spend the extra time, it is converted for you. I have attached two screen shots to show the difference. Same table and same values, just one is AFR and the other is EQ Factor.

It is quite clear that you do not understand how the VCM calculates the final AFR. There are other table values that get added to the final EQ ratio.
Some are temperature driven, others are fuel type driven.

If it was as easy as calculating the table value into an AFR we would have done it from day 1.
The problem is we did want not to display AFR numbers that could be false without going through the entire process. Some things you just have to read and work out with good old fashioned basic math.

Please stop posting your 2 cents Black02SS. As John mentioned in the last thread that got locked....

"Parenthetically I would add that some folks just like to argue and press buttons, and any longstanding user can see that in these threads."

Ken

Last edited by Super Sport X2; 12-01-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Super Sport X2
It is quite clear that you do not understand how the VCM calculates the final AFR. There are other table values that get added to the final EQ ratio.
Some are temperature driven, others are fuel type driven.

If it was as easy as calculating the table value into an AFR we would have done it from day 1.
The problem is we did want not to display AFR numbers that could be false without going through the entire process. Some things you just have to read and work out with good old fashioned basic math.

Please stop posting your 2 cents Black02SS. As John mentioned in the last thread that got locked....

"Parenthetically I would add that some folks just like to argue and press buttons, and any longstanding user can see that in these threads."

Ken
First of all you have no idea what you are talking about. My two cents were requested as soon as the thread was made public. Second in the other thread if you notice, I posted one time. That is it. If you can't see that in the latest threads I have been nice and helpful, then you need to open your eyes some more and get off my ***. Everyone of these threads ends up the same way no matter how much we play by the rules. Just the same as the others, this will get locked but not because of me, but becuase one of HPT's finest gets all upset about something and doesn't know how to properly adress the issue without being an ***. Look at the past threads, all seem to get locked as soon as you guys get in them.... So where is the trend.

If you have a problem with me, take it to PM.

Do you think MAYBE, there are other tables that aren't shown that effect the final AFR??
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hold the phone, calm down guys. I know what each of you is meaning and trying to say

gameover/SSX2 are trying to put forth the question of "how can you accurately show AFR in that table when 1. there's more things contributing to the final AFR and 2. there's no way to calibrate that to the fuel you're running, because your desired AFR is different for each fuel type.

The first is simple - every tuning package I've used displays ignition timing in degrees, in multiple tables, that add together for the final result. What's wrong with doing the same with fueling?

The second is a bit more complex. AFR is AFR, because its the air FUEL ratio -- not air GASOLINE ratio. But, that doesn't quite mean you'll end up with accurate fueling if you're trying to tune a flex fuel vehicle to an arbitrary AFR. Pretty much every tuner knows when you start adding other fuels to the mix, and you're using an O2 sensor of some sort, you switch over to lambda and tune away. Its just easier to line up the numbers and make sense of them, unless you know what AFR to expect for a known fuel blend. Lambda normalizes all of that -- 1.00 for gasoline is stoich, as is 1.00 on a gasoline/alcohol blend.

EFILive does the calculation from EQ. to AFR as a convenience, which for many folks is a great help. I like seeing it in there.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners vs EFI Live ease of use