Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how much is safe

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much is safe

Im trying to squeez as much out of my stock bottom end without blowin her up. Im currently running a 99 z28 with slp long tubes, high flow cats, y-pipe, slp cat back, a slp maf and ati procharger(with the coresponding fuel system and tuning) at 5lbs, im wondering if adding a bbk intake manifold and throttle body, a 7psi pulley, and a more agressive cam would be to much for it. any help would be great
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

7psi isn't too much. You won't need/want to spin it very high (6200 max) with the extra boost. Just make sure and get a conservative tune with about 11.5/1 air/fuel and you'll be ok assuming the engine is in good shape. For a more aggressive cam, don't get much more then stock, and keep a 114 or 115 LSA.

Jason

Last edited by Camaro99SS; 12-01-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

If you want more boost, I'd go with Meth injection and an even smaller pully (for the track only) and just stay at your current boost level for the street. Just my .07... as long as you've got a good tune, 7psi shouldn't blow your stock bottom end. With both Meth injection and a nice big intercooler, I've seen stock bottom ends put out up to 625 right in front of my eyes (rear mount turbo in the case I abserved) I think he was running 14psi with a cam... not aggressive at all (the cam I mean).
Old 12-02-2005, 03:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We sell and install a lot of ATI ProChargers. We normally set them up for 8 psi of boost, and you can also run a cam with this combination and still be safe. An ATI ProCharger at 8 psi installed on an F body, along with headers and cat back will normally give us 440 to 450 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno, which would be approx 500 rwhp on an unloaded DynoJet chassis dyno. Adding a cam will generally add approx 50 rwhp, which with a good tune will still be safe, but it is at the upper limit of durability. You will want the air/fuel ratio at wide open throttle to be at 11.5/1, and timing to be at roughly 18 degrees. Bob
Old 12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
If you want more boost, I'd go with Meth injection and an even smaller pully (for the track only) and just stay at your current boost level for the street. Just my .07... as long as you've got a good tune, 7psi shouldn't blow your stock bottom end. With both Meth injection and a nice big intercooler, I've seen stock bottom ends put out up to 625 right in front of my eyes (rear mount turbo in the case I abserved) I think he was running 14psi with a cam... not aggressive at all (the cam I mean).
damn, I didn't even know you were there when I dyno'd.

Boost is irrelevant, all that really matters is how the car is tuned and how much you monitor the motor. Octane is your friend.

Quick Reply: how much is safe