Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 ss with powerdyne. having problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ss with powerdyne. having problems

i have a 6# powerdyne on my 98 ss and it ran fine the first weekend i had it on but i was driving it a couple days later and my oil stick blew up when i got on it hard. seems like ever since it hasnt really run right, when in first gear at full throttle it starts spitting and sputtering at around 5,000 and when it goes in second it seems like it wants to pull good but its just on and off all the way through the powerband. its making around 5 1/2 pounds of boost and it isnt dropping. any help would be great
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Teching In

If you blew out the disptick your pressurizing the crank case. Make sure you disconnected the top tube from the back of the throttle body and you shoudl add a check valve to the bottom tube which goes to the valve cover.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:02 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start looking for a piston problem if that doesn't work the PVC valves are not good against boost so a check valve is a must try www.Mcmastercarr.com While this maybe the problem it usually doesn't start spitting and sputtering and surging like you described that is usually one or more holes going dead under a load which leads me to believe a piston or ring issue cause I have been there and done that same thing. The only way to know for sure is to do a compression or a leak down test on the motor. And by looking at the plugs will probably tell you though and when you see the problem one you can start your compression test there etc... Good luck I really hope it is just the PVC valve though. It doesn't matter how long the suppercharger has been on ther either just so you know. Again I hope for the best for your wallets sake.
Jeff
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Teching In

thanks for the replys, i drove my car this morning and when i first got in it and drove it it ran pretty good. it didnt start doing all the spitting and sputtering like it was until it got warmed up. i put a vented oil cap on it and it kept my dipstick from blowing out but i can still see where it is still blowing a little oil out. what do yall think?

Quick Reply: 98 ss with powerdyne. having problems