Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good do stock ported heads work out? 241's I think...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How good do stock ported heads work out? 241's I think...

Hey I have an 01 SS and im tryin to figure out what im gonna do wit the car.. I wanna do a H/C setup as a DD car. Now, how good can our factory heads flow compared to some aftermarket ones? Is the cost savings worth the power loss? Do I need to get different valves? I know I need different springs, depending on the cam... anything else? I wanna make the most power possible, but i dont wanna go over the top where it would be annoying driving it daily... and I think that would take alot cause I drive around in the chevelle and that thing is nasty... any advice?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First do bolt ons, headers, ported TB, then go cam
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadBowtie03
Hey I have an 01 SS and im tryin to figure out what im gonna do wit the car.. I wanna do a H/C setup as a DD car. Now, how good can our factory heads flow compared to some aftermarket ones? Is the cost savings worth the power loss?
I think the trade off depends on your ultimate power-level goal and how many cubes you're working with. For a daily driver I would call the cutoff at about 400 cubic inches where I'd say ported stock heads are giving up too much compared to the cost of aftermarket.
A good porter can get 300 cfm from a stock LS1 head with stock valves.
You'll want to upgrade the springs though. It's going to come down to how much money you put into porting.

Personally I wouldn't even run an aftermarket head without going over it with a sanding roll and blending the valvejob anyway.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I will be doing this all at once.. thats why i was wondering about the injectors and all... I will be working with the stock 346 short block... Im gonna do cam,heads, headers and all the stuff at one time and get it dyno tuned.. Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BadBowtie03
Hey I have an 01 SS and im tryin to figure out what im gonna do wit the car.. I wanna do a H/C setup as a DD car. Now, how good can our factory heads flow compared to some aftermarket ones? Is the cost savings worth the power loss? Do I need to get different valves? I know I need different springs, depending on the cam... anything else? I wanna make the most power possible, but i dont wanna go over the top where it would be annoying driving it daily... and I think that would take alot cause I drive around in the chevelle and that thing is nasty... any advice?
We can port your GM heads and grind a custom cam to match. Our stage II 241 LS1 castings flow 300 to 310 cfm at .600 lift and 28 inches of water. The LS6 castings (243) will flow in the 325 to 330 range.
You don't have tp give up power by going with your GM castings, give me a call or shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help you out with your project.

Ask for Harold
512-257-0222
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Take a look at my setup in the sig. I haven't done the blower or intercooler setup yet, and I'm at around 390-400rwhp now and it drives like stock around town, freeway, etc. It should be the same after the blower and looking to get 450-500 range Daily driver with little sacrifice of gas milage so long as you don't womp on it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can definately make good power out of 241 castings. I would go with a little bit bigger intake valve & stay stock exhaust valve. That configuration will allow good flow without breaking the bank! We have both just cnc & cnc / deck / valvejob combos so feel free to shoot me a IM for pricing!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com