Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

q abot running lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q abot running lean

i keep reading that running lean will blow your motor, what exactly blows your motor and how? cause right now im running 15:1 im getting the afr tuned wensday to fix it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you 15:1 at WOT or just at part throttle. Lean mixtures will only be catastrophic if they're at points of high load (think cylinder-filling, the best of which occurs at the point of peak torque). So just cruising on the highway at 16:1 is actually pretty good for fuel economy and reliability, but even 14:1 at WOT is IMO dangerous and also costs power. Lean mixtures destroy things with heat. Richer mixtures are required at higher load in order to allow for an excess of fuel to be present to provide some cooling for the combustion process and chambers. I've seen turbo motors with fueling problems (starvation from clogged filters, pinched lines, etc) sieze up rear cylinders because of a lean condition. But, FYI, FI motors are much more sensitive to lean mixtures and are generally run richer than N/A cars. Typically, N/A motors are happy and make best power between 12.5:1 and 13.5:1 while I prefer to tune FI cars around 12.0:1 and sometimes even richer.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

thanx man. everybody ketp telling me that my car running at wot 15:1 was like driving a bomb. i was just trying to figure out why, im going to get it tuned though wensday morning so ill just keep driving it like i have been nice and easy