Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ignition for Gen III

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MSD Ignition for Gen III

Hey does anyone know when the MSD Ignition box will be out for the GenIII\GenIV engines?? I know that they have the coils out know but they have been out for a while and they said that they are making the ignition to go with it...If anyone has any info on this I would like to hear it...thanks
chris
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyone that knows when this is going to be released??
Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have the coils and love them. I asked about the ignition box. I would not hold your breath. No release date at this point.

Thanks JA
Old 12-15-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for replying..I was getting worried that this was going to go unnoticed...So can you tell a difference in power?? I emailed MSD but they haven't returned it yet....Have you heard anything about it?? They said that it might be released late this year or early 06...Just trying to see if I can use it in my upcoming t88 turbo build...I think it would help quite a bit...I had one on my truck and I could tell a tremendous difference in response and the plugs weren't fouling out even though there was a junk carb on there...Thanks again
Old 12-15-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one else has any idea of when this will be out?? thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give...
Old 12-15-2005, 07:15 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Thanks for replying..I was getting worried that this was going to go unnoticed...So can you tell a difference in power?? I emailed MSD but they haven't returned it yet....Have you heard anything about it?? They said that it might be released late this year or early 06...Just trying to see if I can use it in my upcoming t88 turbo build...I think it would help quite a bit...I had one on my truck and I could tell a tremendous difference in response and the plugs weren't fouling out even though there was a junk carb on there...Thanks again
Hi
Everyone is out to trash these coils. I don't know why. I think most people do not know what capacative dishcharge is.

smoother engine idle. Felt like a new set of plugs.
engine revs up much smoother
small gain in torque
alot more throttle response (big supprise)
looks cool
less fuel smell when engine is worming up.

I think for the money you will get more HP from other mods, so it may not be your first choice.

Try www.maftpro.com/info.shtml

They have a new PCM control box that looks like it can do it all, including boost.

JA
Old 12-15-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks...It looks like a cool system...I'm going to look into it...The reason that I wanted to run the ignition box as you know is for the capacitive discharge and the multiple spark discharge when combined with the MSD coils...I just didn't want to buy them and wait forever but I think I will get them anyways...I think they look pretty cool..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I think the two are the same. You get multi spark with the coils alone. The ignition box will be for fuel and timing basially. That is what I was told.

JA
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh sweet...I thought that you needed the box for the multiple sparks...It only sparks under 3k rpm right?? then above that is when it just gives it a big jolt from the capacitive discharge right?? That's the way the 6AL is...They do that because above 3k rpm it's too fast to spark it multiple times so it just give a healthier spark...That equates to more combustion and therefore more horsepower, throttle response, etc...thanks for your help jga it's just I've even emailed companies that carry MSD and no one has been helpful but it's probably because they don't even know yet...Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Yes, you are right about the capacative dischage.

The coils are multi-spark for shure.

JA
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you know if they are through full rpm range or if they shut off at a particular time?? I'm very curious...thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I finally got in contact with MSD and this is what the email said...Good news... "Sir,

Actually the 6010 controller is currently being built and shipping. The
8886 adapter harness for the EFI set up is what is back ordered right
now. It is in process and will be available early to mid next month
baring something happening. They will be available from one of the
dealers listed on our web page.

Thanks,

MSD tech"
Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, well another good thing...I found out that Thunder racing along with some other dealers already have the harness 8886 for the integration of the ignition...So what that means is you can now have the ignition box into our systems...Woo hoo!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, I've been learning more and more about this system..It's going to ROCK!!! It has a built in two step rev limiter...What that does for you guys that don't know is when you're on the tree it's hits the rev limiter at whatever rpm you want to launch at and say if you have the wire hooked up to your brake all you have to do is tap the brake and the limiter comes off and all hell breaks loose...It's a really cool feature...There are many other features too but that is something that's going to be cool for us drag racers...