Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint protection film feedback - Scothgard, Aerogard, look good, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint protection film feedback - Scothgard, Aerogard, look good, etc.?

Anyone use these film products to protect you front? I know that 3M makes a lot of it. There are several companies that have laser cut kits to apply to the nose. Only a very few that have tackled the complicated lines of a WS6 though.

Here's what's difficult to figure out:
Who has the clearest film? Some say it's a product called Aerogard.
Who's film simulates a real paint look the best?
Who makes the best film for protection

Clear Mask
Xpel
Clear Shield
Invinca-Shield
VentureShield Paint Protection film
Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

At one time I was going to go with this and chose the Xpel. Buddy has it on his C5. I didn't even know he had it until he made a point to show me where the line of the edge if the film was.

No matter which you go with - DEFINITELY have it professionally installed by the authorized dealer/installer in your area - especially on the T/A. If you try and install yourself you might as well just throw the $$ in the toilet!

-Jay-
Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen it on a c6. very nice and hard to notice. im pretty sure he had them custom cut his to cover a lot of the front end.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont do it... all of those products.. even thought they say they wont yellow.. DO!!! it ruined 2 of my friends WRX STi, and Integra

he used clear mask and clear shield... both went yellow in just over a year... i dont mean really yellow..but a yellowish haze.. plus when you wax your car.. the wax always gets into the outter edge of the mask and you start seeing the lines of the mask.. especially on darker colored cars... lighter cars will see more yellowing..

doesnt matter what they tell you.. IT WILL YELLOW... the manufacturer will just replace the pieces under its warranty, but who wants to keep putting it on and taking it off??
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

A girl I work with had it on two of her cars. I couldn't ever see the line, we worked together for a couple of years and I never noticed it yellow. It was a red car so that might have something to do with it too. I want to try it out but for now I got the light protection film and so far they have held up well. I figure if its going to yellow that would be small enough for me to notice before I do anything else
Old 12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

im gonna try it...i rather have it replaced under warranty every 2 years if it yellows than have to have my bumper re-painted every time i get a crater sized chip in my front bumper. ill have it installed in feb...ill post up and let you guys know what i think of it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TNTramair
im gonna try it...i rather have it replaced under warranty every 2 years if it yellows than have to have my bumper re-painted every time i get a crater sized chip in my front bumper. ill have it installed in feb...ill post up and let you guys know what i think of it.
I'm with you. I need it. I've just replaced all the glass in the front (fogs, 4 heads, parking lights) and a new bumper cover (3rd one) with fresh paint.

The AZ roads & highways are loaded with tractor/trailers and construction trucks with debris always falling off. Lots of debris/sand/gravel that accumulates on the hwy white line area. If someone changes lanes in front of you, get ready for a blast. If you're on a bike and no helmet....its a free facial peel.

I jumped in a Benz forum where they said VentureShield uses a water soluable adhesive that does not affect the clear coat unlike the acrylic adhesives most use. I'll call the local Germ dealers and see who they use, typically the best avialable.

WAX - Buy a high quality narrow paint brush and cut the hairs down to about 3/4 inch. It's the magic bullet for getting wax out of cracks and seams.

Quick Reply: Paint protection film feedback - Scothgard, Aerogard, look good, etc.?