Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap rod to hold up lifters need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cam swap rod to hold up lifters need help

ok so I am doing my cam swap and everything is apart. I got my 2 5/16 rods. I spun the cam over and stuck the rod down the driver's side fine. So I got to stcik the other rod down the passanger side and it gets stuck half way and will not go any further. so I pulled it out spun the cam over again and it still gets stuck in the same place halfway in. I check with a push rod and the lifter it is getting stuck near is staying up. I called the guy at my local speed shop and talked to him and and all his suggestions haven't helped. I have spun and cam in both directions, ground the tip of the dowel to a point, swtiched dowels from one side to the other. I guess at this point I am gonna go back to my shop to get some more tools including a pen magnet to try and pick up the lifter. ( I am workin on the car at home) but that is the last thing I wanted to do while I was on vacation form the shop

BTW my car has 44kmiles

Any idea's suggestions would be helpfull
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try getting the rod to that point, pushing the lifter down, then slowly rotate the cam while trying to insert the rod. Don't force it though. The rod must fit between the two machined diameters of the lifter. Thinking maybe the lifter is too high. Not sure if this will do it, but it is worth a try. Be careful and good luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had tried that too never got it to go all the way in. I just check each lifter to make sure they were coming up and staying up and just yanked the cam out and stuck the new on in. I lucked out and none fell. But thanks for the input
Old 12-22-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, I looked at the rods with a boroscope when I did my cam. The rods will keep them from falling out, but not from falling enough to interfere with the cam. So in the end, you are dependent on the plastic retainers to hold the lifters up anyhow.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the JRP rods to hold up mine since 4 of them wouldn't stay up, they were hard to get past a couple of lifters since they wouldn't stay up at all, had to slide it in, spin cam slowly till it could push it past and continue on. After i put in the new cam the passenger side rod was very hard to remove. The cam would still hit the lifters even with the rods in, scared the **** out of me. I had to rotate the cam to get it past some of the lifters.